Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Antique sewing machine >

Antique sewing machine

Antique sewing machine

Old 12-20-2020, 06:47 PM

Default Antique sewing machine

I was gifted a treadle sewing machine. I wanted to restore the machine for use not for resale. The drone says Eldridge and on the back it says Improved Elderedge B. I can’t find a serial number on it. I would greatly appreciate any and all help. Any resource information also. Thanks in advance
Old 12-21-2020, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Demack375 View Post
I was gifted a treadle sewing machine. I wanted to restore the machine for use not for resale. The drone says Eldridge and on the back it says Improved Elderedge B. I can’t find a serial number on it. I would greatly appreciate any and all help. Any resource information also. Thanks in advance
Welcome. There is a section here on Quilting Board for vintage and antique machines. https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintag...thusiasts-f22/ with a sticky on cleaning vintage machines at How to Clean Up and use a vintage sewing machine - videos by Muv and Fav There is a tutorial about reviving the wood cabinet at Cleaning and Reviving furniture(Sewing cabinets)

There are a few threads that have some more information about the Improved Eldredge B at Manual for Eldredge Improved B single spool Needle type for Eldredge "B" (Improved) Treadle? and National Improved Eldredge type B manual?

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:49 AM

Welcome to the QB form SE Michigan! OurWorkbench has given you all the relevant information to finding the best way to restore and find out about your machine. This member is a very handy person to have around. Best of luck on your restoration project. I hope to see you around these parts a great deal. Again welcolme to the QB.
Old 12-21-2020, 10:30 AM

Thanks for the information, checking out the links
Old 12-21-2020, 10:42 AM

a warm welcome from my safe place at home in Ky.
Old 12-21-2020, 10:51 AM

Thank you, I am in Illinois and presently quarantining. I assist my elderly parents and both have been hospitalized with covid. I am being responsible and not seeing my children or grandchildren till after the new year
Old 12-26-2020, 07:33 PM

Keep water away from any decals it may have or it will turn them silver.

Use only sewing machine oil on parts that move our should. be prepared to clean and oil for a while before it gets loose.
Welcome aboard.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:22 AM

Thank you for your response. I am presently waiting for a new belt scheduled to arrive today. I hope to be using it soon
Old 12-29-2020, 07:34 AM

Be very careful when you punch or drill the hole for the belt staple. Serious acupuncture is a real hazard.

There is a special made set of pliers for punching and cutting them.
Attached Thumbnails vsm-treadle-belt-pliers-open.jpg