Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Applique using Big Shot Dies >

Applique using Big Shot Dies

Applique using Big Shot Dies

Old 05-24-2011, 11:30 PM

Hi,
I bought the Sizzix Big Shot after seeing Patsy Thompson using hers to cut fabric for applique.
Here in RSA the Big Shot is less than half the price of an Accuquilt GO! or Baby GO!.
So anyway ... the most dies (like Spellbinders, cuttlebug, etc.) works well with paper and scrapbooking stuff, but it seems there are specific dies that will works better with fabric...
Can anyone give me some directions for which dies to buy?
Thanks! :)
Old 05-25-2011, 01:34 AM

Stampin Up have dies to use in the Big Shot for fabric!
Old 05-25-2011, 01:43 AM

ETA::
I have seen some Bigz, and Sizzix Originals onlline ... wondeing if they will work????

hmmmmm..........been googling the name .... stampin up is not available here .... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
But thanks anyway! :)
Old 05-25-2011, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

I have hundreds (and hundreds) of dies from every company you can think of. The only dies I would not use with fabric are the very thin 'wafter' dies, for instance Sizzlets. A crisp fabric will always cut better, so starching is a good idea. I would only cut one layer of fabric with the Bigz/Originals, especially if the die has a lot of detail. If the fabric is not cutting well, put a piece of copy paper on top of the fabric. Fabric goes next to the blade then the paper then the cutting pad. Different brands of dies may be slightly different thicknesses, so you may need a shim. Oh, and one last thought, many of the Bigz/Originals die designs have perf blades to enhance the design. Here is an example:
http://www.sizzix.com/outlet?&page=1...18&w=originals

Go to the leaf design#654999, then look at the "line" image. The leaves have veins made by a perforated cut. These will make little cuts in your fabric on these lines. A shape like this should be fused entirely down and the veins should be satin stitched, if not and the item is laundered a lot, it may begin to fray along these lines. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:57 AM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!!!
Old 05-25-2011, 03:53 PM
Power Poster

Welcome!
Old 05-25-2011, 05:12 PM

Welcome from Michigan.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
I have hundreds (and hundreds) of dies from every company you can think of. The only dies I would not use with fabric are the very thin 'wafter' dies, for instance Sizzlets. A crisp fabric will always cut better, so starching is a good idea. I would only cut one layer of fabric with the Bigz/Originals, especially if the die has a lot of detail. If the fabric is not cutting well, put a piece of copy paper on top of the fabric. Fabric goes next to the blade then the paper then the cutting pad. Different brands of dies may be slightly different thicknesses, so you may need a shim. Oh, and one last thought, many of the Bigz/Originals die designs have perf blades to enhance the design. Here is an example:
http://www.sizzix.com/outlet?&page=1...18&w=originals

Go to the leaf design#654999, then look at the "line" image. The leaves have veins made by a perforated cut. These will make little cuts in your fabric on these lines. A shape like this should be fused entirely down and the veins should be satin stitched, if not and the item is laundered a lot, it may begin to fray along these lines. Let me know if you have any more questions.
WOW! That was a LOT of GREAT information!!!
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question in detail ... I appreciate it!!
I have saved this information and will surely make use of every bit of it!!
I'm off to check the link ... THANK YOU again!!! :D :thumbup: :D :thumbup: :D :thumbup:
Old 05-26-2011, 05:07 AM

welcome from se TX
Old 05-26-2011, 06:34 AM

Welcom from Moreleta Park