Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Delighted to be here >

Delighted to be here

Delighted to be here

Old 02-20-2022, 07:14 AM

Default Delighted to be here

I'm called Magdellena, Magda or Maggie for short. I am originally from Aberdeen, Scotland but married an American and now reside in Nashville, TN, USA.

I made my first quilt a little over a decade ago. I loved the experience, wanted to do more but did not get the chance due to having wee ones running about that needed seeing to, as well as having moved multiple times in those years.

Three years ago, I found that desire again when a dear friend had her first child and I wanted to make a quilt for them. Originally I thought a baby quilt but the more I pondered it the less I fancied the idea. Though I have seen so many lovely baby quilts and was even gifted ones for my own children, I have always felt they were limited in their actual usage due to wee ones outgrowing them so fast. I felt, if I made something for someone, I wanted it to be able to be loved and used for a lifetime. So, I designed a pattern I liked and then went about learning how to make it a reality.

Since then I have made a a dozen or so completed quilts and have twice that in unfinished tops and blocks.

I have been teased by the friend who taught me the basics of quilting that I have a tendency to always go over the top, and went from no experience to advanced patterns in one massive leap. I suppose she isn't wrong but I know what I like and that is what I want to make.

I am a bit of an odd duck to be honest. I love dark, creepy things, fantasy, sci-fi, films, comic books, video games and the like. I tend to take traditional techniques and mix them with quirky patterns, themes and mediums to create something unique ; gothy, spooky, nerdy, geeky, fandom heavy fabric arts.

I look forward to really deep diving into this forum to learn and share.
Old 02-20-2022, 08:36 AM

Welcome. Looking forward to more details ans hopefully pictures of your quilts.
Old 02-20-2022, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. 👋
Old 02-20-2022, 09:59 AM

Waving hello from Maryland!
Old 02-20-2022, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board, Magdallena. Please post some pictures of your quilts! Would love to see them.
Old 02-20-2022, 10:30 AM

Welcome from Texas. Can't wait to see some of your quilts that you've made. Sometimes, if we don't go beyond our comfort zone we will never improve our skills. Sounds like you've got a jump start on most of us!
Old 02-20-2022, 11:11 AM

Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan! It is a great joy to have you join us here. Jump right in and join the fun. I personally think every quilter is a bit quirky because we are always look to do something bigger and better with our next quilt. I would love to see some of your quilts. Again welcome to the QB!
Old 02-20-2022, 11:39 AM

Welcome! Glad you are joining us.
Old 02-20-2022, 11:56 AM

Welcome from South Louisiana. You sound like one of those quilters that will mark their stamp on this fun hobby. At the quilt shows, I love to see the quilts that are designed beyond the boundaries of what most of us think is possible. They make us rethink the possibilities.
Old 02-20-2022, 12:18 PM

Welcome! I think you will find there are a lot of unique quilters here - so many ways to put one's own stamp on a project. Glad to have you join us. :-)