Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
DW told me I had to register >

DW told me I had to register

DW told me I had to register

Old 09-08-2008, 03:01 PM
Dew

Yes, my dear wife told me I had to register and tell everyone thank you for their comments, answer questions and generally be an active participant. No more lurking over her shoulder while she is on the board.

To be completely fair to everyone, my wife has been a member of the board for some time and I know how much she enjoys being able to learn and share in her quilting. I've been learning through osmosis until I recently opened my mouth and inserted one very big foot. I made the statement that what she was doing didn't look all that hard and that just about anybody could probably do it. (That comment was about paper piecing a mariners compass). Learning by osmosis ended and a sit down in front of the sewing machine lessons began. I have to tell you that I'm truly blessed because even though I was mouthing off she was gracious enough to explain how to do it and it turned out quite good. I even impressed myself!!

Roben and I try to share in what interests the other and she has even had grease under her finger nails a time or two. Lately though she seems to have taken to being irritated with me for reading over her shoulder while she has been on the quilting board. ( She is probably justified because I really do read slow!) I only say this because she twisted my arm to make me register and then I had to introduce myself and she still expects me to go and answer questions and say Thank you's. I'm not sure but I think she's been getting lessons from my Mother :wink: Can you believe that anyone could expect some old boy like myself to get up off his duff and participate? :lol:

Doyle
Old 09-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

Dew, its about time you got off your lazy butt and registered for your own darn self!!!! Afterall, we oohhed and aawwwed over your mariners...(yes, I remember it). You guys think you should get all the breaks....most of the time your right :wink: My hubby is spoiled rotten and I've enjoyed every minute of it :lol:

Welcome to the board...glad you've stopped back seat reading. Post some more of your stuff, we love to look and you do a great job..so we're glad you are here!
Old 09-08-2008, 03:26 PM

Dew, I love your post. You had me laughing so hard I got tears in my eyes. Thank you! Be very careful about about saying "...what she was doing didn't look all that hard and that just about anybody could probably do it." Specially when she is paper piecing a mariners compass. :D Which I remember well. It was beautiful. You have a wonderful teacher. You block is beautiful.

I read aloud your post to my DH. He said "that's why I have never told you it looks easy. Besides you (me) have never got grease under your fingernails."

I think it is wonderful the way you guys share hobbies. Maybe if I start working on the BMW motorcycles he will start quilting. When we lived in NC and I was doing stained glass he would want to help me. But now we are in the FL Keys and we don't have the room to do stained glass. I keep saying in the winter when it's cool enough to be outside I'm going to start again on the deck. We'll see. :-)
Old 09-08-2008, 03:40 PM

Welcome to front seat driving.

I've always told my dh that when he takes up quilting I'll go hunting with him. I may need to watch what I say.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:45 PM

Welcome. So glad that you finially decided to join our happy quilting family. I love your work. I sure wish my hubby would take up quilting or any other craft for that matter. I'm trying to get him interested in wood working. We'll see.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:45 PM

Welcome! I'm wondering how long it takes for you to get hooked, too.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:48 PM

Welcome to the board Doyle. I showed your block to my DH, I don't think he is ready to try sewing yet. He only touches my machine to carry it for me. That is great that you can share interests!!! I'm not sure if I want my DH to raid my fabric stash for his own creations!!!!
Old 09-08-2008, 04:21 PM

Welcome Doyle, you will love this group and I hope this is not a one time visit. I think is awesome that you took interest in quilting, it is a hobby that will keep your mind sharp as a razor with all the different ideas on creating your own blocks and what colors will go good together. Besides you guy's are great designers when it comes to buildings and houses ect, quilting is the same thing just different material.
Loved your block, if you don't mind sharing would like to have the patterns. Can wait to see your quilt finished.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:23 PM
bj

Good for you and welcome from me!
Old 09-08-2008, 05:03 PM

Welcome Dew! I remember that mariner's too, you did an amazing job. You and Roben make a nice pair. In the case of me and my DH my eyes glaze if he starts talking engines. But I've gotten wise to him... He does the same thing if I talk about colors to long...

Patterns, design, and math he's all ears... But colors, ACK! :D