Fellow quilter

Old 12-09-2023, 09:35 AM

Default Fellow quilter

Good morning fellow quilters.
I am what I call a seasoned rookie. I am always learning and have upgraded to owner of a longarm machine with only manual quilting ability. I made/ finished18 quilts last year.
My husband has acknowledged my constant sewing and is creating the “perfect” sewing/ quilting space for me.
It is a 21’ x 13’ attic space with no natural lighting and a sloped ceiling from 5’10 on one side to 6’10 on the other side.
I have just purchased carpet rectangles for flooring. I want to make a visual quilt.
The carpet rectangles are 12” x 36”. I have 300. My space is 260 so I have spares. They are random colors with no less than 3 but no more than 10 in each color wave. ( blues, grays, greens, blacks, ceeams)
I am looking for a pattern or design that I can put on the floor using these carpet tiles.
Thoughts?
Old 12-09-2023, 09:56 AM

Wow! I can hear the brain cells going now.... wait for something amazing! This should be interesting.
Old 12-09-2023, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

My feeling is that you won't really notice the floor once you get your room all set up. I would concentrate more on how to position the longarm and any other sewing equipment and how to get light into the room.
Old 12-09-2023, 11:11 AM

Welcome to the board Buddy birdlover we're glad you found us
And congratulations on your new space!
Do you have the space to move your tiles around and try several designs before you decide?
Are the tiles easy to cut?
You could begin with a grid shaped like your floor and play with shapes/designs you like before committing. On paper, or with software
This web site has a few ideas to get you started:
https://whytile.com/2023/08/79-floor...for-any-space/

Some shapes are classic ....like a LBD (little black dress) maybe pick something you are most likely to enjoy for many years.

here are more (scroll down)
https://www.tileshop.com/inspiration...ayout-patterns

you could start with a center design, and "frame" it with a border design....so many options - it's all about your preferences
have fun!

Last edited by 1CharmShort; 12-09-2023 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-09-2023, 03:39 PM

Default Been there, done that

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
My feeling is that you won't really notice the floor once you get your room all set up. I would concentrate more on how to position the longarm and any other sewing equipment and how to get light into the room.
I have grid my room on graph paper and moved around all the furniture to its best placement. Based on how I want to use it, the center is the flex point of the room. Most of the furniture is on casters and will be moved to the outside edges when not in use. So my center becomes my open space for cutting or when I want to use the longarm.
The ceiling will have 18 6” pot lights, that can be all turned on or half, depending on need.
Now you can see why I’d like to make a quilt on the floor center.
Old 12-10-2023, 04:24 AM

Welcome to the Board. There are plenty of long arm quilters here to provide you with ideas and to keep you going when you get in a funk about a project. What a treat to have space to develop your passion and the equipment to follow it. Show us photos as you get oriented to your new space and to the QB site. As to your floor. I would not worry about it, keep it simple, easy to clean up and vacuum handy to clean up all those threads and fuzz from fabric. Have you considered painting a large quilt on the floor? Sort of like a barn quilt but on the floor rather than placed on the side of a barn.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 12-10-2023 at 04:27 AM.
Old 12-10-2023, 04:37 AM

Congratulations on your new space, it's wonderful your husband acknowledges your love for quilting. I like the staggered brick idea, simple but yet different, plus easy to change later if you want. I hope you will have heat and air-condition up there. Do you have a lot of outlets for lighting and machines? The Grace Company has a really nice light bar, it's expensive but well worth the money, I love mine.
Old 12-10-2023, 05:41 AM

What fun! I would do some sort of French Braid looking floor. With that size, you could go with some of the jelly roll patterns.
Old 03-08-2024, 06:46 AM

Default It’s finished!

It’s finished! Also, the floor pattern I decided on.
Attached Thumbnails img_2170.jpeg