Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Greetings from Germany

Red face Greetings from Germany

Hi there! My name is Olea, I'm 30 years old, I come from Melbourne, Australia, and now I live in Germany.

My mum made clothing and soft toys when I was growing up, and I remember some curtains and patchwork pillows, but not many quilted items. My one grandma is a knitter, and the other was a longtime scout leader, and neither was into sewing all that much. I don't know how I ended up with the quilting bug, but I think it's because I love fabric, and I love the grid-based designs (and how modern quilts play with the "rules").

I travelled a bit as a nanny/au-pair, and spent lots of my money on beautiful Liberty fabrics when I lived in London, and at the local LQS in Seattle. Here in Germany, it's very difficult to find good quality/modern quilting fabric locally. What I can find is expensive, up to 24 euros per metre (which is 25.50USD per yard), so I think buying online from the US or UK is the way to go.

I couldn't tell you the first quilting project I started, but this year, I finally completed my very first quilt. It's all half-square triangles, that I had initially tried to work into a star design, but I'm still learning about lights and darks, so it ended up in this semi-gradient. I picked the turquoise binding mostly to link the front and back fabrics together, but I love how it pops.

I quilted it on my domestic computerised machine with a walking foot, mostly stitch-in-the-ditch, but following different lines to try to give it some variety. I'm debating putting it back in and quilting it more densely to make it more noticeable, but I also want it to stay super soft and cuddly, and I'm afraid of ruining it.

Name:  IMG_7068 3.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  1.90 MBName:  IMG_7069 3.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  1.38 MB

Because there's no local quilting shops here, there's also no local quilting guild, and I don't know anyone who lives near me that quilts or sews. I could travel to the nearest major city, but I'm not quite fluent in German yet, so I'm very glad to have found this online community

I'm working on a small wall hanging and a bed sized quilt, and dreaming about my next quilty plans, so I should have plenty to post here before long.

Welcome from south Louisiana!

Your first quilt is awesome. Too much quilting will make it stiff, but some specific designs in the darker HST's would be cute. There are so many ideas out there. I tend to do flowers and concentric circles. You could pick any child's animal and just do the outline of the animal. Or perhaps one of the ideas here. https://www.favequilts.com/Patterns-...chine-Quilting

Leah Day has more ideas than you have fabric. https://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Blog Entries
    Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
    I think your quilting is great as it is.
    Willkommen im Quilting Board
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Power Poster
    Welcome from Ontario, Canada. It is a cute quilt but if it meets the quilting requirements for the batt, I would just move on to your next quilt project.

Hi and welcome from North Carolina! Your quilt is beautiful! Wonderful job! You've come to the right place for all kinds of information. A very inexpensive way to built a stash is to visit thrift shops, if there are any in your area. You can buy large clothing with lots of useable fabric for very low prices. You'll have to do some deconstruction, but it would be a whole lot less expensive than $25 per yard!!

Keep quilting and enjoy!!

Welcome from Oklahoma. Glad to have you here. Guten Tag.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    Welcome from Vermont near (Canadian) border!

Welcome to the board! Your quilt is lovely!
    I'm also the only one in my whole family who quilts. I don't know where I got it but I really enjoy myself

Wow, thanks Barb! These are amazing resources.

I'm hoping for a free-motion foot next month as a birthday gift ... pretty sure I've left enough clues for my husband

I'm nervous about how heavy the quilt will feel, moving it through my machine, but these designs offer so much more variety than just using a walking foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Welcome from Ontario, Canada. It is a cute quilt but if it meets the quilting requirements for the batt, I would just move on to your next quilt project.
    I've had the batting so long I don't remember 100%, but if it's the Warm and Natural cotton I'm pretty sure I bought, it suggested 10" and the furthest parallel lines are like ... 4"?

I do have plenty of other projects I want to get to ... it's hard to step away from the perfectionism!

Quote Originally Posted by SillySusan View Post
    Hi and welcome from North Carolina! Your quilt is beautiful! Wonderful job! You've come to the right place for all kinds of information. A very inexpensive way to built a stash is to visit thrift shops, if there are any in your area. You can buy large clothing with lots of useable fabric for very low prices. You'll have to do some deconstruction, but it would be a whole lot less expensive than $25 per yard!!

Keep quilting and enjoy!!
    Thank you, Susan! Yes, we have some secondhand stores here. I'm not very confident telling fabric types apart, but I guess men's shirts would most often be cotton? (I have cut apart one my husband got a hole in, following a video on YouTube). Any other "safe" clothing items I should look out for?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
    Welcome from Oklahoma. Glad to have you here. Guten Tag.
    Haha, danke!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
    I think your quilting is great as it is.
    Willkommen im Quilting Board
    Dankeschön, QuiltnNan

And yes, I think I need to remember that "done is better than perfect", and move on to the next one, as others have also suggested.

I tried to work on my next quilt top today, but forgot that I removed the bobbin to steal thread for hand sewing binding to my almost-complete mini-quilt! Rookie error. It was pretty sad that I didn't notice until after three long seams, but at least I have little marks for my next (properly threaded) attempt.

Blog Entries
    Welcome from NE Ohio. Thank you for sharing your beautiful quilt.

Welcome from Michigan!

Welcome from Minnesota! I think you did a great job on your first quilt - my first effort wasn't nearly as well done. Love the little dog fabric you used ;o)
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Welcome from England! Your first quilt is lovely!

Hey from a german living in Mississippi! Whereabouts in Deutschland do you live? Theres a great Facebook group called Patchwork gilde deutschland, lots of info there!

Your HSTs in shades of brown are very effective. Paired with your choice of prints, it looks great! It looks like you've quilted it enough to me-- just enjoy it. Once the binding is on and it's been washed and dried, it seems like it's finished! Don't look back, move forward! Let's see your next one. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by IngeMK View Post
    Hey from a german living in Mississippi! Whereabouts in Deutschland do you live? Theres a great Facebook group called Patchwork gilde deutschland, lots of info there!
    Oh, dankeschön! I live in Aachen, right on the border of Belgium and the Netherlands.

Quote Originally Posted by givio View Post

Your HSTs in shades of brown are very effective. Paired with your choice of prints, it looks great! It looks like you've quilted it enough to me-- just enjoy it. Once the binding is on and it's been washed and dried, it seems like it's finished! Don't look back, move forward! Let's see your next one. :-)
    Haha, thank you! I'll go get cracking

Welcome to Quilting Board. Yes quilt fabric in Europe is very expensive and is usually older fabric or just to the taste of the shopowner no variety of choice, limited color palette, not all themes of fabric. I buy from USA from www.equilter.com they have affordable shipping price to EU. Stay under 22 euro to avoid paying extra customs tax etc.

Welcome from Maryland!

Welcome aboard, Olea, thought I had responded to this thread already but greetings from one 'Blossom to another

My dad was in the Army and I was actually born in Regensburg, Germany but we left by the time I was two so don't remember it.

I think that's a wonderful first quilt!

I get a lot of my fabric from the thrift stores. Here in the Seattle area I often find whole yardage pieces but also scrap bags. There is nothing wrong at all with using garments for fabric and the nice thing is that they usually have fabric information included in the label. While 100% cotton is preferred for quilting for a number of reasons, poly/cotton can also be used. When they first came out quilters loved them because of the brightness of colors, the shine, and no ironing! But they can be thin, not wear well, and are slippery little devils so I recommend pinning the heck out of them.

Many of us "burn test" our found fabrics. You can do a google and find lots of information on it including videos. I prefer to use a lighter myself, some people use (unscented) candles. You can also use matches but you want to be able to smell the fabric, not just the match.

Poly/blend fabrics will tend to produce some smoke, a hard edge (sometimes with globs of melted plastic) usually black, and burns fast. The burn line often feels sticky as well. Some of it smells awful too, even sometimes before burning.

Pure cottons (sometimes a finish/glaze on it will change the results) will burn slower, have a soft edge usually grey, and little to no smoke. I personally have a hard time telling rayon blends from cotton, but I can tell you that I've used known 100% rayon fabric in scrap quilts and it has worn well/about the same as the cotton in the top.

Silk and wool will give off that burnt hair smell. If you haven't smelled that in awhile, just grab some from your brush.

I love your quilt, especially the pieces backing! Welcome from Alaska!