Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
greetings from the San Diego area! >

greetings from the San Diego area!

greetings from the San Diego area!

Old 02-10-2015, 01:01 AM

Default greetings from the San Diego area!

Hi, my name is deborah. I am a life long seamstress (i use to even make wedding dresses!) but this past fall i decided to make christmas quilt gifts. No knowledge except what i picked up online. I got as far as all of the fronts, but without a sewing table extension, I found it to difficult to do the actual quilting part so they got partially made gifts so far. (yes, i shed a lot of tears about that because i worked like a fool trying to get them done in a month!)

I am new to the board, though while looking i went into the challenge thread section, and saw where newbies were looking for quilting angels to help them, so i posted my story there already.

I may as well do it here too, so i am including the pictures of the quilts i made. (the two owl pictures are front and back as i ended up kind of an almost second quilt for the back as i was mixing and matching fabrics to make up the back fabric. (not really a good idea i have found, but oh well, it is going to just be a throw around its chilly quilt anyway.) I started to hand quilt the one for my son (the drinking one) and i am almost done with it. finally getting the hang of the stitches and all, but i really want to do machine quilting. However, being handicapped...the hand quilting has given me something to do while watching tv and such, so i will probably always have a hand quilt to make for now on!

I am an avid crafter, and have taught polymer clay and beading classes through the years. Stopped sewing a few years back when i had an unusual tense summer of picky rich but wanting to spend nothing brides. thats why i am getting back to sewing with quilts, I still get a tummy ache when i think of brides! lol. quilters i have found are amazing talented people who LOVE to share. I am a sponge, I am excited by what I will learn here.

P.s. i STARTED with the crazy quilt, because I knew i had all of those fabrics on hand to use.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]509525[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]509526[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]509527[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]509528[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]509529[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails asianquilt.jpg   crazyquilt.jpg   owlfront.jpg   owlback.jpg   drunkquilt.jpg  

Last edited by crafty55; 02-10-2015 at 01:03 AM. Reason: adding message
Old 02-10-2015, 03:26 AM
Power Poster

​Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Great tops!
Old 02-10-2015, 05:18 AM

WELCOME FROM MANITOBA-CANADA, LOVE YOUR QUILTS MY LEVEL OF QUILTING IS VERY BASIC. STARTED WITH NOTHING, NOW WE HAVE PLENTY OF WEB SITES TO HELP US.. I belong to Eleanor Burns quilt in a day, and Missouri quilt forum, all very good sites.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:25 AM

Welcome from Vermont and enjoy this group. You are doing great.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:27 AM

Welcome from NE Ohio.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

Nice Quilts! Welcome from Michigan!
Old 02-10-2015, 06:43 AM

Welcome from South Louisiana. Your tops are amazing. There is a thread on the board about a quilt holder to keep the weight of the quilts off of you while quilting. This thread has a PVC structure that I know would help anyone dealing with a larger quilt on a domestic machine. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ml#post7046462 If I didn't have a long arm, I would be having hubby help me make one. I could do it myself, but he is considered the "project builder" so I can't step on his toes and take over his territory. lol

Forgot to add: I would use both those owls tops as 2 different quilts. You will find that after you make one and gift it, someone else will always want something similar, especially children. I like to use the 108" wide fabric as backings. Hobby Lobby is carrying several colors of the larger width fabrics and you can use your 40% off coupon for them.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 02-10-2015 at 06:46 AM.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:04 AM

Welcome from OHIO! Your quilts are beautiful and I agree with Barb...I would use the owl quilts as two different quilts.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:13 AM

welcome from se TX
Old 02-10-2015, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting