Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hand Quilter from the Mountains of Arkansas.. >

Hand Quilter from the Mountains of Arkansas..

Hand Quilter from the Mountains of Arkansas..

Old 11-23-2006, 02:55 PM

Hello to everyone, I am Sharon and I live in the Ozark Mountains... it is 27 miles to town, and so when the snow flies I stay very close to home. My husband and I live on 20 acres, and I love to learn crafts, from quilting, to wood working. My latest quilt i am working on is a King size quilt.. "Double Wedding Ring"... and wheee, that is a big sucker...... but I love it.. I have been doing the top stitching for about 2 weeks now, so it is going slow.. but love it.
I would love to talk to others who enjoy quilting... and sharing ideas.
so give me a shout..
sharon..
[email protected]
Old 11-23-2006, 03:23 PM

Hi Sharon, I live in Pennsylvania and I love to quilt. I want to make a double wedding ring quilt sometime but I have so many projects started that I haven't finished. I'm going to finish those before I start anything new. I'm working on table runners and small quilts for Christmas presents. I think you'll enjoy this forum. There are lots of helpful members.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:37 PM

Hello Minda, so nice of you to answer me.. as I just signed onto this board, and trying to get my act together. Well. like I said, I am a self taught quilter, so all my mistakes are all my own... and I take credit for that.. hahahaha. but the way I did the Double wedding ring quilt, was looking at a quilt my grandmother had made.. I just had to copy it.. but had to guess on how some things were done. Oh. alright.. took me forever to realize I had made the same mistate the entire quilt. But like my daught says............."who would know??" .. so I am going to finish it with all the love as if it was all done with perfection. But now I know the secret................(yep I would be honored to share it with ya.. when you get around to making one....).....
Like I said I am one who does things on my own..... as I just found this message board, and now have place to ask questions. But.. to save me from turning red with embarrassment :oops: Do you always use special thread. I mean I have tons of cotton thread...the kind that come on the cones.. and that is what I use to piece and to do the top stitching..................Now tell me.. what kind of thread do you use.
... Hey I am one who can not just afford to go out and buy tons of new lovely material for a quilt.. I tend to use what I have. Hey that is the way my grand mother did it.. and I feel she did wonderful quilts......
enough of my rattling.....................
talk to you again...
smiles.
Sharon
Old 11-23-2006, 05:00 PM

Hi Sharon...........

I am from WI, ama new quilter (since Jan. when my son went to Afghanistan) and new to message boards as well.............nice to see you, nice to meet you.and I, too, am hoping for some responces and ideas here! I am waiting for some helpful ideas on christmas tree skirts?? Know anything?

Nancy
Old 11-24-2006, 05:39 AM

Hello Nancy.. nope I don't know any Christmas skirts... never wear them... hahahhhah only joking. I am a Jehovahs' Witness and don't celebrate Christmas...............If you want to know why, I will be glad to share the Bible Scriptures with ya.. but it is your choice..
Keep on smiling and so nice to meet chu..
Sharon
Attached Thumbnails emy-quilt.jpg   paul-snip.jpg   diana-snip.jpg   turner-quilt.jpg   doris.jpg  

please-lord.jpg   em-lil-christmas-pillows.jpg   john.jpg   compress-adrianna.jpg   kate-liz.jpg  

Old 11-24-2006, 03:14 PM

I'm a self taught quilter also. There were no classes that I was interested in taking when I decided to start quilting, so I just read books and learned on my own. I use Gutermann brand cotton thread to machine quilt, and for hand quilting I use a variety of cotton threads. I think it's fine to use whatever thread works well for you. Hope to chat with you again.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:28 PM

Another day is here, and been getting a few things done, but always look forward to quiet time, and quilting time. Well the quilt I am working on, is gonna take a long time for me to finish, but I made sure that I have a touch of friends in my quilt. As I was piecing it, I asked some special friends, and family to add something of theirs in my quilt. So I have special pieces of material given by loved ones. And today, my daughter helped me decide on a stitching to put on the solid squares...just needed a pattern to used on them, and my daughter who is 95% blind, suggested and drew out the pattern for me.. So it is special for sure.
many smiles and lots of thread !!!
Old 11-28-2006, 09:18 PM

Hello,
I love quilting and learned alot from Eleanor Burns (Quilt in a Day) books.
I just moved to Buckeye Arizona, from Southern California. I have a sewing room all my own and loving every moment. I am also an empty nester. I have been making so many baby quilts, I thought maybe one of my sons would get the hint! I have 3 boys and they are all in California. I just recently spent some money on better thread and could tell the difference. I will not go back to the lesser brand. And they are having 50% off this weekend at Joann's on Gutermann Thread!
Happy Quilting!
Linda
Old 11-29-2006, 07:58 AM

Hi all! Guterman is a very well-made thread and I've used it for years because of the color choices they offer. Then I discovered the new Coats & Clark giant spools of satin finish mercerized cotton, size 50, machine quilting thread. There aren't as many colors, but it both hand and machine quilts like a dream. It's 100% Egyptian cotton. The cost may look high, but there's 1200 yards on a spool, where Guterman's only 220 yards or less! And like Linda wrote--those coupons and 50% sales at Joanne's are the perfect time to stock up!
Old 11-29-2006, 04:28 PM

Hi Leslee,
Thanks for the info on Coats and Clark! I will stock up on my thread this weekend.
Happy Quilting everyone!
Linda