Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hello from Alaska!

Hello from Alaska!

Hello all! Im a new member hailing from Alaska and wanted to introduce myself. I have come across the board frequently in my web searches and thought it was time to join. This seems like a wonderful community of people and I cant wait to participate more.

Hello Michele! Welcome aboard. I'm another newish member from the Seattle area since 1983 but I grew up in Alaska (ages 10-23) mostly in Anchorage but went to school in Fairbanks as back then it was the only campus with dorms. I will warn you about this site that you are likely to be tempted to make more projects than you think you have time for -- at least that's my experience so far.

I just got back from a trip with a local friend, we spent a couple of days in the Anchorage area with my best friend from High School going to quilt shops and picking up the Row by Row patterns for another ex-Alaskan friend (she now lives in Phoenix area). We went out to the State Fair in Palmer and then took a week-long cruise from Seward, ending in Vancouver BC -- also picking up Row by Rows and visiting the various quilt stores at the various port shops. It was my first time back to Alaska in 20 years... and my first time along SE since about 1977. Many many changes!

Blog Entries
    Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Welcome from South Louisiana....the opposite of where you are. Hot, steamy, humid and this summer has been very, very wet. The ideas for new projects, abound on this wonderful board.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Hello and welcome to the board. It's great to have you join us!
    "He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

Welcome from Talkeetna! You'll find all sorts of new ideas and tips and tricks to overcome any obstacles you encounter along the way. Not sure where you are located, but in my case the trip to the LQS is not just around the corner, so any advise found here keeps me productive in the sewing room. Welcome aboard.

Power Poster
    ​Welcome from Ontario, Canada.

Hi and welcome from North Carolina! You'll find so-o-o many experienced quilters here that can answer all questions! Happy quilting!!

Welcome!
    Visiting Alaska is on my bucket list, but it would take a miracle to make it happen Hope your enjoy your time here!
    In a world where you can be anything, always be kind!
    Help protect your children, be honest about all medical problems and family medical history!

Blog Entries
    Welcome from Northern Indiana where we are only 55 degrees today and getting some mist from Hurricane Gordon....I think...

Blog Entries
    Welcome from Vermont.

Welcome from Michigan!

Welcome from Oklahoma. Be sure to show us some of your work.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Waving hello and welcome from Washington!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    Hi Michele, welcome to the board from NE Ohio.

Wow!! Thank you all for the very warm welcome! It will be so lovely to be able to chat with some like-minded individuals. I'm sure my hubby is sick of hearing me talk about quilting.
    Just to tell a little more about myself, I grew up in North Dakota and met my husband and moved to Alaska in 2012. A work friend was starting to teach me how to quilt but life got in the way and I didn't work on my first three quilts for a long time. When I got back to them, my friend had moved and I didn't have any other friends or acquaintances who make quilts. I turned to the internet and that is where I learned that my friend had barely skimmed the surface. I love this craft! I find it fulfilling and am happy that there is such a vast and helpful community from which to learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
    Welcome from South Louisiana....the opposite of where you are. Hot, steamy, humid and this summer has been very, very wet. The ideas for new projects, abound on this wonderful board.
    I traveled for work for a long time and have been to Louisiana many times. I don't much care for the heat and wet. Thank you for your warm welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Quilter 53 View Post
    Welcome from Talkeetna! You'll find all sorts of new ideas and tips and tricks to overcome any obstacles you encounter along the way. Not sure where you are located, but in my case the trip to the LQS is not just around the corner, so any advise found here keeps me productive in the sewing room. Welcome aboard.
    I live in Houston so it's a little jaunt to the LQS here. I tend to be a bit of a homebody, too, so I find a great deal of inspiration online. I have visited Talkeetna, though. I was there a couple weeks ago to pick up the Row by Row.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
    Hello Michele! Welcome aboard. I'm another newish member from the Seattle area since 1983 but I grew up in Alaska (ages 10-23) mostly in Anchorage but went to school in Fairbanks as back then it was the only campus with dorms. I will warn you about this site that you are likely to be tempted to make more projects than you think you have time for -- at least that's my experience so far.

I just got back from a trip with a local friend, we spent a couple of days in the Anchorage area with my best friend from High School going to quilt shops and picking up the Row by Row patterns for another ex-Alaskan friend (she now lives in Phoenix area). We went out to the State Fair in Palmer and then took a week-long cruise from Seward, ending in Vancouver BC -- also picking up Row by Rows and visiting the various quilt stores at the various port shops. It was my first time back to Alaska in 20 years... and my first time along SE since about 1977. Many many changes!

It sounds like you had a great trip! I love Alaska. And you're absolutely right about the projects. I'm already mentally behind on my project list and have a couple of projects basted but not quilted and bound. This craft makes me feel like a kid in a candy store!

Welcome from Texas! It sounds like you are well on your way to a new & rewarding hobby. There are so many quilters here that will be able to help you with any questions that you have. I have learned so much by just asking & getting lots of help with any problems that I have. We love pictures here so look forward to seeing what you are making.

Welcome from Arizona
    bjsmith57