Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Hello from Alaska!

  1. #1
    Senior Member MicheleC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Houston, AK
    Posts
    675

    Hello from Alaska!

    Hello all! Im a new member hailing from Alaska and wanted to introduce myself. I have come across the board frequently in my web searches and thought it was time to join. This seems like a wonderful community of people and I cant wait to participate more.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Near Seattle, WA
    Posts
    810
    Hello Michele! Welcome aboard. I'm another newish member from the Seattle area since 1983 but I grew up in Alaska (ages 10-23) mostly in Anchorage but went to school in Fairbanks as back then it was the only campus with dorms. I will warn you about this site that you are likely to be tempted to make more projects than you think you have time for -- at least that's my experience so far.

    I just got back from a trip with a local friend, we spent a couple of days in the Anchorage area with my best friend from High School going to quilt shops and picking up the Row by Row patterns for another ex-Alaskan friend (she now lives in Phoenix area). We went out to the State Fair in Palmer and then took a week-long cruise from Seward, ending in Vancouver BC -- also picking up Row by Rows and visiting the various quilt stores at the various port shops. It was my first time back to Alaska in 20 years... and my first time along SE since about 1977. Many many changes!

  3. #3
    Moderator QuiltnNan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    western NY formerly MN, FL, NC, SC
    Posts
    48,068
    Blog Entries
    53
    Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Deep South near Cajun Country, USA
    Posts
    3,867
    Welcome from South Louisiana....the opposite of where you are. Hot, steamy, humid and this summer has been very, very wet. The ideas for new projects, abound on this wonderful board.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

  5. #5
    Super Member JenniePenny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    4,677
    Hello and welcome to the board. It's great to have you join us!
    "He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

  6. #6
    Junior Member Quilter 53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Talkeetna, Alaska
    Posts
    284
    Welcome from Talkeetna! You'll find all sorts of new ideas and tips and tricks to overcome any obstacles you encounter along the way. Not sure where you are located, but in my case the trip to the LQS is not just around the corner, so any advise found here keeps me productive in the sewing room. Welcome aboard.

  7. #7
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    35,091
    ​Welcome from Ontario, Canada.

  8. #8
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,077
    Hi and welcome from North Carolina! You'll find so-o-o many experienced quilters here that can answer all questions! Happy quilting!!

  9. #9
    Senior Member KellyPA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    731
    Welcome!
    Visiting Alaska is on my bucket list, but it would take a miracle to make it happen Hope your enjoy your time here!
    In a world where you can be anything, always be kind!
    Help protect your children, be honest about all medical problems and family medical history!

  10. #10
    Super Member Battle Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Northeastern Indiana
    Posts
    2,295
    Blog Entries
    1
    Welcome from Northern Indiana where we are only 55 degrees today and getting some mist from Hurricane Gordon....I think...

  11. #11
    Super Member jetayre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    2,273
    Blog Entries
    7
    Welcome from Vermont.

  12. #12
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    9,967
    Welcome from Michigan!

  13. #13
    Power Poster Boston1954's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East Oklahoma - pining for Massachusetts
    Posts
    10,470
    Welcome from Oklahoma. Be sure to show us some of your work.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

    I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

  14. #14
    Power Poster Mariposa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Eastern Washington
    Posts
    29,052
    Waving hello and welcome from Washington!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

  15. #15
    Super Member Thumbelina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Heaven on earth/to N.E. Ohio
    Posts
    5,214
    Blog Entries
    4
    Hi Michele, welcome to the board from NE Ohio.

  16. #16
    Senior Member MicheleC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Houston, AK
    Posts
    675
    Wow!! Thank you all for the very warm welcome! It will be so lovely to be able to chat with some like-minded individuals. I'm sure my hubby is sick of hearing me talk about quilting.
    Just to tell a little more about myself, I grew up in North Dakota and met my husband and moved to Alaska in 2012. A work friend was starting to teach me how to quilt but life got in the way and I didn't work on my first three quilts for a long time. When I got back to them, my friend had moved and I didn't have any other friends or acquaintances who make quilts. I turned to the internet and that is where I learned that my friend had barely skimmed the surface. I love this craft! I find it fulfilling and am happy that there is such a vast and helpful community from which to learn!

  17. #17
    Senior Member MicheleC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Houston, AK
    Posts
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
    Welcome from South Louisiana....the opposite of where you are. Hot, steamy, humid and this summer has been very, very wet. The ideas for new projects, abound on this wonderful board.
    I traveled for work for a long time and have been to Louisiana many times. I don't much care for the heat and wet. Thank you for your warm welcome!

  18. #18
    Senior Member MicheleC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Houston, AK
    Posts
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilter 53 View Post
    Welcome from Talkeetna! You'll find all sorts of new ideas and tips and tricks to overcome any obstacles you encounter along the way. Not sure where you are located, but in my case the trip to the LQS is not just around the corner, so any advise found here keeps me productive in the sewing room. Welcome aboard.
    I live in Houston so it's a little jaunt to the LQS here. I tend to be a bit of a homebody, too, so I find a great deal of inspiration online. I have visited Talkeetna, though. I was there a couple weeks ago to pick up the Row by Row.

  19. #19
    Senior Member MicheleC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Houston, AK
    Posts
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
    Hello Michele! Welcome aboard. I'm another newish member from the Seattle area since 1983 but I grew up in Alaska (ages 10-23) mostly in Anchorage but went to school in Fairbanks as back then it was the only campus with dorms. I will warn you about this site that you are likely to be tempted to make more projects than you think you have time for -- at least that's my experience so far.

    I just got back from a trip with a local friend, we spent a couple of days in the Anchorage area with my best friend from High School going to quilt shops and picking up the Row by Row patterns for another ex-Alaskan friend (she now lives in Phoenix area). We went out to the State Fair in Palmer and then took a week-long cruise from Seward, ending in Vancouver BC -- also picking up Row by Rows and visiting the various quilt stores at the various port shops. It was my first time back to Alaska in 20 years... and my first time along SE since about 1977. Many many changes!

    It sounds like you had a great trip! I love Alaska. And you're absolutely right about the projects. I'm already mentally behind on my project list and have a couple of projects basted but not quilted and bound. This craft makes me feel like a kid in a candy store!

  20. #20
    Super Member osewme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,388
    Welcome from Texas! It sounds like you are well on your way to a new & rewarding hobby. There are so many quilters here that will be able to help you with any questions that you have. I have learned so much by just asking & getting lots of help with any problems that I have. We love pictures here so look forward to seeing what you are making.

  21. #21
    Super Member bjsmith57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,426
    Welcome from Arizona
    bjsmith57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.