Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello from California >

Hello from California

Hello from California

Old 06-23-2007, 09:22 AM

Hello from California,
I am new to the Forum and am trying to learn more about computers.
I have been quilting about three years. My problem seems to be getting
the back even and not to pucker. Any suggestions?
I live very close to the beach in southern Calif. and enjoy walking on the sand and looking for seashells. I would like to make a quilt with a beach background.
Have a happy day!!!!!
Old 06-23-2007, 10:55 AM

Welcome from the midwest. I'd love to be walking on the beach. I'm new to quilting myself and have not tried to actually quilt yet. I send my off to be done. Therefore I can't help you will your question, but there are lots of very friendly people here who I'm sure will be answering you soon. Feel free to post pics of your quilts for all of us to see.
Again welcome.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:24 AM

Hello Pat! Welcome on board! Love the shore as well. Do you use a frame when you quilt? Hand or machine? We have several threads on both methods. A lot has to do with the method of quilting and begins with the layout of the quilt sandwich. We are glad to offer any help or info for whatever the question on here. :-)
Old 06-24-2007, 05:20 AM

Hi Pat,
I live on the opposite side of the country at the Atlantic beaches in North Carolina. I do love the beaches, rain, shine, freezing, day, night, all the time. :)

The best advice I've read here and worked out for myself in preventing puckers is to anchor it tightly and then pin, pin, pin. I have a full sheet of plywood with piano hinges that we fold out on my dining table and then I have have several types of clamps that I use after I tape the right side of the back to that plywood sheet, then I spray baste my batting and then clamp the top to the rest before pinning.

My personal opinion.....puckers add character and since I'm in favor of character a few don't make a quilt bad. No perfect quilters in the world, just loving generous quilters!

Enjoy quilting and sharing with us here!

Sharon
Old 06-25-2007, 08:07 AM

I too use basting spray. Don't know how I ever quilted without it! It certainly helps get rid of the puckers, becasue once you smooth everything out the basting spray keeps those puckers from coming back.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:37 AM

Hello Pat. I'm from New York City and one of favorite places is New Jersey Shore. You have to check it out if you're ever in these parts.

To not get puckers, I use my dinning table. I use the big binder clips to clip down the backing fabric, then smooth out the batting and place that on top. I also use the clips to hold that down. Lastly I place the quilt top on and clip that as well. Many people use spray but I have sinus problems. I like to hand baste through all the layers starting in the center and working my way out. The clips really holds everything nice and straight. Go to www.staples.com and type in the search large binder clips.
so you can see what I'm writing about.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:42 PM

Thank you for the tip about using binder clips. I also have a piece of
plywood that I use. Perhaps I need to try basting it more.
It must be nice living in New York City. However I enjoy living in a smaller city.
I also have been making beach bags for my friends. They go together
very fast and is a good use for extra fabric.
Have a great day!!!
Old 06-28-2007, 12:54 PM

I finish all of my quilts by hand quilting. After I lay out all of the layers, and pin them together, I use a large hoop. This holds all three layers taut...start in the center and work your way out to the ends and sides, removing the pins as you go Works for me!
Old 07-08-2007, 09:03 AM

Where in Southern California do you live that is near the beach and still a small town?

I spent most of my life in Lake Forest, CA (inland from Laguna Beach) and I didn't realize there were any small towns near the coast anymore!
:wink:
Old 07-08-2007, 05:35 PM

Hi
I live in Ventura,ca. It is 25 miles from Santa Barbara and 60 miles
north of L.A. We have a great County Fair with some really beautiful quilts displayed. It will begin August 1. The fairground is next to the beach so there is a cool breeze to enjoy.
Pat