Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Canada

Question Hello from Canada

Hi All,

I've picked up the quilting bug and am loving it! Absolutely no experience whatsoever in quilting!

My introduction to quilting was a 'baptism by fire'! A friend had asked me to fix an old quilt. It's a really slow process because I'm learning along the way.

Love advice, directions and suggestions.

Cheers,

P.S. I hope I'm in the right posting section.

Hi, Faireweedamsel! Welcome to this informative and helpful board. You will get so many great ideas you will never want to do anything else but quilt.

Power Poster
    Welcome from Ontario, Canada. I only fixed an old quilt once and that was more then enough.

Howdy! I grew up mostly in Alaska and now live a bit south of BC in the Seattle region.

Repairing an old quilt is quite a task for a new quilter, kudos for you! I only do it for people I really really like.

Blog Entries
    Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Well, I am in Ohio and having been created quilts for the last 9 years after I gave my School Kids a wonderful time when I retired and they wanted me to make quilts for all of them...that didn't happen. Enjoy this, everyone here will help you and look to you for us if we can't find something. Enjoy!!!!! Quilting is wonderful and these quilters are wonderful. Welcome.
    Busy in Ohio

Welcome to the Board, from South West Ontario.
    A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!

Welcome from Oklahoma. Nothing like getting thrown into it quickly.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Hi and welcome from North Carolina! You found the right place to get help ... and friends!

Welcome from Alberta! This board is full of all sorts of fun and informative people and information.

Welcome from Caifornia! I've fixed 2 old quilts. The Grandma's flower Garden is finished and just needs to be quilted, and the Ocean Waves, er, not so much! But, hey, as they say in Monte Python, "I'm not dead yet!" so there's still hope for that one. How about a picture of your repair project? We love pictures best of all!

Welcome to our world. I hope that you enjoy it as much as I do.

Welcome from Michigan!

Blog Entries
    Welcome from Quebec city
    this board is my everyday (almost) morning reading.
    So much help and motivationto be found here. Show us your progress. We all started somehow.

Blog Entries
    Hi from Southern Saskatchewan Canada...Never worked on repairing a older quilt, but you have come to the right place to learn all sorts of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Faireweedamsel View Post
    Hi All,

I've picked up the quilting bug and am loving it! Absolutely no experience whatsoever in quilting!

My introduction to quilting was a 'baptism by fire'! A friend had asked me to fix an old quilt. It's a really slow process because I'm learning along the way.

Love advice, directions and suggestions.

Cheers,

P.S. I hope I'm in the right posting section.

Welcome from Illinois! This forum is full of experienced and helpful quilters who answer questions and can lead you along your journey. I have sewn for over 50 yrs. but only started quilting 10 yrs. ago and have learned so much from this board. Enjoy your creative process through quilting.

Welcome from Arkansas. I do not post a lot, but I read this board every morning and feel like I have had a visit with friends. Everyone is so helpful, and I am always able to pick up ideas or learn other ways of doing some aspect of quilting. I realize some of the ladies drink tea, and others have their special morning beverages, but I have my coffee with members of the Board every morning. It is a wonderful informative and accepting group.

Blog Entries
    Hi and welcome from NE Ohio State.

Welcome to the quilting board. Glad you caught the quilting bug. It is quite contagious!! You will love this board with so many members being so helpful and giving advice if asked.

Hi from a fellow Canuk, I am located by the southern shore of beautiful Lake Huron. Our Sunsets are out of this world/ You will get lots of assistance on this board.

Welcome from Maine. Glad you caught the bug..... Just beware it's very contagious. I'm pretty much a daily reader, and have learned so much. Enjoy, and hope to see some pictures of your projects.
    To many quilts, not enough wine.

Janome Horizon Memory Craft 8900QCP, Special Edition
    Vingtage Dressmaker 7000 Heavy Duty

Welcome from northern CA!

Welcome from Portland, OR

Hello from Texas & welcome to the board. You will get lots of help from lots of people here. It's great to have you here as a new member & look forward to seeing the things you do.

Evening Folks,

Thank you so much for the lovely warm welcome and greetings.

Here's a snapshot of the patchwork quilt. Material used was cotton-poly with polyester batting and tied (Double/Queen size - circa late 1970s). Binding (torn), seams (frayed), batting (not much left). The quilt was well loved and washed in a machine with an agitator. Lots of repairs.

Name:  Patchwork-Quilt-019.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  187.4 KBName:  Patchwork-Stitches.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  134.2 KB

Big stitched one side of horizontal and vertical seams with 12 wt Aurifil thread and 100% Warm & Natural Cotton batting.

Next step is to machine quilt for extra strength. The existing quilt blocks were not square. Therefore, I had two thoughts: 1) cross-hatch one direction on the royal blue blocks and then the off-white flowered blocks. This would create a triangle on four blocks; or alternatively, 2) a few straight stitch lines horizontally and vertically shadowing the hand stitched lines (not too many because seam lines are a bit wonky).

Concern: cross-hatch design would be sewn on the bias with poly-cotton fabric?

Suggestions welcomed.

Cheers,

P.S. First time machine quilting with my Christmas present! If you hear screaming, you'll know where it's coming from in Canada.
    Last edited by Faireweedamsel; 04-08-2019 at 07:26 PM. Reason: postscript

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast