Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hello from Chicago

Smile Hello from Chicago

Hi Everyone! I am new to quilting. I have never made a quilt, but I would like to get started. I have one Hugh problem though. I don't know where to begin. I have been reading a lot about quilting which piqued my interest. I am a seamstress so I'm certain that will be beneficial. I would appreciate any input you give me. Thank you very much.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-04-2018 at 01:01 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Hi and welcome from North Carolina! You've come to the right place for all kinds of information about quilting. These people here always answer all questions.

Your being a seamstress is a big advantage for you to learn to quilt. It's a lot easier and a lot more fun than you think. Just remember to start with something easy, like a 4-patch or a 9-patch pattern, and with something small like a lap quilt or a baby-size one. And, remember that your 1st one is allowed to have a couple of little mistakes. There are no quilt police!!

We all make mistakes. That's what they manufacture those seam rippers for!! Just enjoy!!

Blog Entries
    Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Hello and welcome to the board from New Hampshire! Do you have a certain pattern or some fabric that is inspiring you?
    "He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

Power Poster
    Welcome from Ontario, Canada. You could watch some of the videos on YouTube done by Jenny Doan from the Missouri Star Quilt Co. She has tutorials on everything from pot holder, tablerunners to quilts.

Welcome from Texas. You will need a few quilting tools like a rotary cutter, self healing cutting mat & a quilting ruler. Since you already sew you probably have all the other necessary sewing items. Start small like a pot holder or table runner or a small quilt for a baby. I just know you are going to love your new found hobby.

Welcome! I'm also new here and everyone has been so encouraging and helpful

Like everyone else, I recommend that you jump in the deep end, and give something small a try. And please, ask as many questions as you need - and post photos all along your journey!

Hi Prin! I'm a newish member (just a couple of weeks) but I've been quilting for a long time now (started back as a senior in high school in 1978). You have sewing skills so use them and skip the quilt police rules. When I first started I came from a garment background and it was before rotary cutters and rulers, so a 1/4" seam just seemed impossibly tiny, I used a 1/2" seam for the first couple of years. Now I've been quilting so long that 1/4" seems pretty darn big... but I often get in a scuffle with the quilt police because I do press my seams open and not to one side. I have for decades and my quilts have held up just fine and I have reasons on why I press open -- but most of the quilt police don't have reasons for their rules, they only do it because that was how they were taught.

If you wish to be judged in a show there are some things you probably should do but you don't need to worry about them now. The big things are to be happy and have fun

PS: Greetings and welcome Olea, had to post when I saw your name!

Welcome from Oklahoma. Waiting to see your first project.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Welcome from Tennessee. As others said start small to get comfortable with the projects. Precision in cutting and seams can make all the difference in your finished quilt. All other aspects are more or less personal preference. Ask all the questions you want here. Plenty of help from all levels

Welcome to the board!
    Youtube has an abundance of tutorials on all types of quilting.

Welcome form Michigan!

Blog Entries
    Welcome from NE Ohio.

I guess the first step is deciding what block you want to make! Since you already know how to sew, the learning curve isn't too bad. I would start with a smaller item than a quilt, which will allow you to encounter all the different steps in putting together a quilt (making the top, sandwiching, binding) without such a large time investment. A potholder or a table runner make a good first project. If you can make a potholder, you can make a quilt, it just takes longer.

Welcome from Texas sounds like your off to a good start all you need is sewing machine and some scraps just have fun you will love it
    Weatheread
    Caddo Mills ,Tx

Welcome from Alaska!

Welcome from Arizona. Happy quilting!

Welcome from Oregon

Welcome from Maine. I too am new to this forum. A few weeks ago I stumbled upon Jordan fabrics on YouTube and find them easy to follow and understand. Enjoy the journey.
    To many quilts, not enough wine.

Janome Horizon Memory Craft 8900QCP, Special Edition
    Vingtage Dressmaker 7000 Heavy Duty

Blog Entries
    Welcome fromOregon!
    “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

If you do a "google" search with something like....how to quilt... you can get a lot of information about the basics of quilting. Also, if you google something like...quilting terminology...you can learn a lot about the terms used in quilting. Hope this helps you some.

Welcome! I’m also new to quilting, new to this board and am in Chicago. I started out sewing garments years ago and began quilting this year. All my other crafting hobbies have taken a backseat to this quilting thing, LOL!

This board is the best resource I’ve seen for quilting. I’m not that active on here but I read as much as I can. I appreciate all of the views and experiences shared by the members. They are gold!

Best to you on your new quilting adventure!