Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello from Eastern, Kentucky >

Hello from Eastern, Kentucky

Hello from Eastern, Kentucky

Old 09-11-2019, 01:27 PM

Default Hello from Eastern, Kentucky

I am looking to buy a new sewing machine that is not computerized.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. There are lots of older machines that are not computerized. Do you want a straight stitch only?
Old 09-11-2019, 02:07 PM

Welcome to the quilting board. Good luck finding a new machine in this day and time that is not computerized! I'm thinking maybe a Juki? I really don't know myself. Will be watching this thread with interest.....
Old 09-11-2019, 02:38 PM

We have a large Amish population near where I live so when I want something new that is not electric or computerized I look to the LQS's that work with the Amish community around me. That is where I would start for brand new. Also a good place to start your search would be online using a similar criteria.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:29 PM

Welcome to the board!

Like cars, many basic sewing machines now have some degree of computers in them even low end machines, and then there are the high-end machines like embroidery machines or my new-to-me Bernina "Sewing Computer". Are there reasons why you want a non-computerized machine in particular?

I'm a big fan of vintage machines myself, or at least "post war metal Japanese machines" and sewed on one older than me for most of the last 30 years until my friend gave me the Bernina mentioned about a year ago. Zero computer there, it did have zig zag and weighs about as much as a boat anchor. Still working, lovely strong straight stitch and can sew through anything including leather and upholstery, much less a quilt. I can do the maintenance myself, it isn't fussy about thread or needles or much of anything. My particular model was Remington and belonged to a friend of mine's grandmother before me, Morse are similar and there are any number of very good solid machines out there.

A lot of us here on the boards are fans of inexpensive Brother machines to take to classes or to use full time. I have a Brother 2230 that I bought at the thrift store for around $20, it doesn't wind bobbins well (maybe why it ended up at the thrift store) and so I bought a portable bobbin winder for another $20. It does everything I need to quilt and then some. We have a current thread here discussing Brothers:
Recommendations for Brother (or Babylock?) machine for classes
Old 09-11-2019, 03:45 PM

a warm welcome from western Ky. I love my little feathewrweights no computer there just a great stich
Old 09-12-2019, 03:57 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan!
Old 09-12-2019, 05:04 AM

Hi and welcome from North Carolina's piedmont! You made a wise decision not to go computerized. I made a mistake getting a Viking that quickly developed problems that couldn't be fixed! I got a Heavy Duty Singer from Walmart for $99 that works like a charm. Had it for several years now and does everything I ask it to do with no problems.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:39 PM

Welcome to the board from NE Ohio.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:42 PM

I currently have 2 sewing machines. I love my Kenmore! It’s about 30 years old. I also have a BabyLock Elure embroidery/sewing machine. The Baby Lock has been nothing but trouble to me over the years. A recent trip to the repair shop says the machine works very well. It just doesn’t work for me! I want it gone.
I want a non computer, quilting machine. I’m looking for a large throat area but I cannot afford thousands of dollars,(Retired teacher here paying off recent hospital bills)
I am considering a Baby Lock Jazz.