Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello from Georgia! >

Hello from Georgia!

Hello from Georgia!

Old 01-19-2009, 07:36 AM

I have been a lurker for a week or so and have learned alot and have seen a lot of beautiful quilts.
I am new to quilting. By first quilts were baby quilts just plain squares and sewn to the backs and then turned. No quilting. I wanted to make my son and nephew quilts and almost got a couple of the baby quilt kits. I thought I could find fabric I liked and it ended up great and cheaper then 1 kit. I then tried some pot holders to learn how to bind and did not like my results (I have learned since that the strips were to small for me to learn on). My first real quilt went great, Irish chain lap quilt. My sewing area is the dinning room portion of my great room. Every one saw it comming together and loved it. I loved making the top. The quilting was simple diagonal lines to accent the design. Then it came to binding and I froze... UFO created.... Months later a friend of mine, who for years had been trying to have or adopt a child was picked to be the adoptive parents and had 2 weeks to prepare. I wanted to make her child a quilt and not just a baby quilt one that would grow with the child. So I made another Irish chain lap quilt 50X50 with the families last inital in the middle. Since is was a boy I used dark royal blue and cream to keep it manliy. Well my sewing machine broke when I was completeing the quilting. I tiddied up the ends by folding and pinning and presented it at the shower with some other gifts and everyone loved it (the excuse I gave was I wanted to personaliz the lable with the name and birthdate). It took 3 weeks to get my machine back form the repair guy and the next day I was laid off. Of course I was depressed and could not work on something that was suppose to be filled with love and until then it was. My four yearold helped pull pins my husband helped. We sent blessing and prayers into with lots of love while we were sandwiching it. Well a switch went off in me and I got it to the point of binding and thougth I would do some online searching on how to bind. I found a sight and remembering my other attempts tried it but did add an extra 1/2 inch to the binding strip and it was perfect. I am now working on my UFO and will get it finished today maybe tommrow. I have fabric for my next project waiting to be washed and Have plans for 5 more quilts and have promised my husband no more UFO's or I will try no more UFOs. We will see if I can stick to that one.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:12 AM
bj

Hi G. Welcome from Texas. I do the no UFO quilting plan. My space just won't accomodate too much unfinished "stuff" going on. Plus I stay a little less crazy!
Old 01-19-2009, 08:14 AM

Welcome from NE CA. Glad you found us. We love pictures.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:21 AM

Hi And welcome from Mass.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:27 AM

Hi and welcome from southern Indiana :-) :-)
Old 01-19-2009, 10:41 AM

welcome from Southern California
Old 01-19-2009, 03:47 PM

Thanks for the greeting.
I love this forum, it seems to be the most active one I have come accoss.

I am getting way to many ideas....

G
Old 01-19-2009, 03:51 PM

What a wonderful story that you shared with us all! May I share with you that when things go nuts for me (like when you were laid off) I usually go into my quilt "studio" and either use the rotary cutter (and cut everything in site into 2 1/2" strips) or I sew on the machine (and listed to the needle go up and down in a wonderful hummmmmmmming sound!). Quilting is very personal and has helped me over lots of "stuff" in life...I hope that you will find that it helps you as well!

Welcome to this message board!
Old 01-19-2009, 08:12 PM

Quilting G--Welcome to the board. I live in Georgia too!! I am in the middle of the state--where are you located? There are at least 4 of us GA girls on here already. Glad to have you with us.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by bj
Hi G. Welcome from Texas. I do the no UFO quilting plan. My space just won't accomodate too much unfinished "stuff" going on. Plus I stay a little less crazy!
I'm with bj in theory...try as I might, I do get side tracked with lots of other quilty things and reorganization of the sewing room and such....but once I'm back on the project at hand I'm good and I don't start another quilt until it's done. This is REALLY hard to stick to, but the to do list wont' get any shorter until you stick to it. All this great advice aside, I haven't picked up my latest project in quite a while so I'm going to have to get to it, too! We'll be here to support each other and encourage you on the tough days. WELCOME!