Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello from the High Desert Burner >

Hello from the High Desert Burner

Hello from the High Desert Burner

Old 05-29-2020, 12:09 PM

The Superior Threads website is a great place for general education. Sure, some things are a little biased because they sell the products but the general info on needles and thread weights and things like that are spot on!
https://www.superiorthreads.com/
Education tab to the far right of the bar

I also like checking in on Bob's Jokes...
(think those are on the bottom, or maybe you have to be logged in)

I am not affiliated with the site, other than I started using and loving prewound bobbins from them and I usually just buy my thread directly from them. No complaints.

edit/PS: I typically use universal needles, but I also like the Microtex Sharps for working on batiks or finely woven fabrics. I prefer to piece with a 10, will use a 12, and quilt using the 12 or 14, so I usually buy the three size multipacks when they go on sale.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 05-29-2020 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:11 PM

Default Bobbins

Try to get a machine with a drop in bobbin, instead of the one that you have to insert the bobbin under the machine. Also, check out the "throat" of the machine. That is the space to the left of the needle. You want to get as big a throat as possible. My Brother has an 11.5 inch throat, which is too small sometimes to quilt large quilts. I yearn for 15 or more inches. Brother generally makes a wonderful machine. A lot of people love their Brother 1500.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:39 PM

I have a Brother machine where the bobbin drops in without a bobbin case. This is simpler than loading the bobbin case, then installing it.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:06 PM
Power Poster

Welcome to the QuiltingBoard and happy quilting
Old 05-29-2020, 02:30 PM

Welcome from Southern Indiana, and if your space is limited, you might want to check out mini quilts! They are really fun. I did those when my sewing space was practically nil. Now that I have more room, I'm into large, bed size quilts. Either way, have fun!
Old 05-29-2020, 03:33 PM

Human nature says that where there's a will there's a way- there are folks here who quilt quite large quilts on small DSM (domestic sewing machines) such as the type you're looking at. There are lots of tutorials on just about everything related to quilting free if you just persevere with looking. And ask!
Good luck! And Welcome to the QB!
Old 05-29-2020, 03:54 PM

Granky, Thanks for the tip on smaller quilts. Will look into those.

GemRM, Didn't know the sewing machine I mentioned was small. What is a full sized quilting sewing machine? Do you have an example I can look at on the web. Always interested in looking, though my budget probably could never afford some of these machines. Still cannot believe a sewing machine can cost over $1000. I thought the little toy sewing machin I purchased for a great grand niece was expensive at $80. :-)
Old 05-29-2020, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by granky View Post
Welcome from Southern Indiana, and if your space is limited, you might want to check out mini quilts! They are really fun. I did those when my sewing space was practically nil. Now that I have more room, I'm into large, bed size quilts. Either way, have fun!
Or lap quilts, about 45" by 60". There are plenty of charities that will gladly accept donations of lap quilts. They take less fabric and keep me from getting bored by making 29,837 blocks all the same.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:47 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan!
Old 05-30-2020, 08:01 AM

Welcome to the QB! from SE Michigan. Iceblossom has laid out thing ideas on the machine aspect in a great way my preference is a brothers machine too. Welcome to the world of quilting. There are so many that are willing to help you along the way. a good acrylic ruler,cutting mat and rotary are the basics as far as tool. Good quilting cotton fabrics are also a good starting point. Quilt i a Day (QIAD) books are great they tell you what level the patterns are for. Several are for beginners and give great instructions The sampler books are great. Again welcome and feel free to ask questions along your journey there is a lot of help here.