Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello! I need quilting advice! >

Hello! I need quilting advice!

Hello! I need quilting advice!

Old 05-10-2020, 07:34 AM
RBQ

Default Hello! I need quilting advice!

I am a quilting newbie, and need some advice, I do not have the talent or know how to make a quilt so I had some one make one for me. I am wondering if some of the things I found on my finished quilt are normal? I have no quilt knowledge whatsoever ever except seeing them in farmers markets and wishing I could have one. I decided this year to use some birthday money and have one made out of my daughters receiving blankets. I received it 2 days ago and have washed it once. Is it normal for some of the squares to separate? Also it looks a though my quilter has sewn together several pieces of fabric together to make up some of the boarder? Is this normal for for a quilt? I would post pictures but I am unsure. Am I posting this in the wrong section of the forum?? Thanks for your help in advance!
Old 05-10-2020, 07:49 AM

Welcome to the board RBQ, sorry you are here with a problem. This is fine, if the moderators feel it should be moved they will. You are certainly welcome to post pictures of your own projects. We just changed formats here and some people are still having problems posting, we have a good help section for board issues:
https://www.quiltingboard.com/qb-help-center-f27/

So no, the squares should not have separated under normal machine washing and drying. That we piece together sections for a border is not unusual. It can be done in various ways, sometimes as quilters we have a design sense of adding in a bit of "pop" or something that might not be so appreciated by someone else.

To make sure I understand you sent someone the blankets and they sent you a completed quilt? In that case I would approach it by calling the quilter and saying "Hey, I got the quilt but when I washed it, this happened -- is there anything you can do to fix it?" or sending an email with pictures attached. Then see what they say. They should stand behind their workmanship and apologize and do something. If they shrug and say "your wash/your problem" then it is most likely not worth fighting over (depending on the cost). But we can maybe figure out was for you to fix it.

It's one of the dis/advantages of making the entire quilt yourself, no one to complain to but yourself if you don't like the workmanship. If you made the top, it's not up to the quilter to fix the issues you put in.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

If made from flannel receiving blankets, they should have used 1/2 inch seams to put the top together. Flannel sometimes frays more then quilting cotton. It also depends on how thin the receiving blankets were to begin with.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:17 AM
RBQ

Yes, I sent her my baby recieving blanket and asked her to make a double sized quilt, we agreed on a boarder around the quilted receiving blanket part. I am definitely going to email with pictures but just wanted to make sure I have a valid compliant....that's why I'm here, to ask the experts🙂 It's hard to put your trust in a stanger to make something for you, something that was supposed to be a treasured keepsake to keep for ever, and it's falling apart already, I makes me sad 😥

I tried to upload a picture but it gave me an error messege. Is there any way I can email my pictures to an expert quilter on here so they can give me some advice??
Old 05-10-2020, 08:28 AM

We like pictures. You will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button,

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:37 AM

First off welcome to the QB from SE Michigan. I am sorry you are having this difficulty with your first quilting project. The blocks nor any piecing should be coming apart. I would ask about it. I just hope this doesn't sour you to quilting.hopefully you will find the passion for making your own. It is not uncommon, as mentioned by others to use pieces of the receiving blankets for the binding. This sounds like a larger quilt. Was it quilted by a professional on a larger quilting machine or by a friend or someone using a domestic machine as a kindness to get your project completed with love? If this was done by a professional that person should stand behind their work. It may or may not be something you want to complain about. You are justified however.
I do hope to see you here. It would be fun to help you to begin learning and loving this joy of quilting. Again welcome to the QB!
Old 05-10-2020, 09:12 AM
RBQ

Did it work?
Attached Thumbnails screenshot_20200510-130943_gallery.jpg  
Old 05-10-2020, 09:14 AM
RBQ

YES!!! OK so this is the boarder pieced together, held up to the window so you can see the sections. Is this normal practice when making a quilt? I kinda seems like she ran out of material and has sewn some extra pieces together??
Old 05-10-2020, 09:20 AM
RBQ

Some of the blankets are flannel type material, maybe not the best choice on my part?
Attached Thumbnails screenshot_20200510-131508_gallery.jpg  
Old 05-10-2020, 09:22 AM
RBQ

I did try to look "behind" ond of the panels and it seems she has left a quarter inch seam.