Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello from Iowa, >

Hello from Iowa,

Hello from Iowa,

Old 12-10-2020, 07:00 AM

Default Hello from Iowa,

Hi I got a question. Husband wants to buy me new sewing machine. I mostly quilt. Which machine do you use and why?
Old 12-10-2020, 09:12 AM

hello and a warm welcome to the board, I'm a Pfaffie and love my Singer 221's I have 4 Pfaff 7570s, Last German built machine, and I have 4, Singer 221's, 3 are repainted and one is black. I love the little 221's because they are so cute, and light weight so easy to take to meetings and retreats, not that much of that is happing now, but they also give a great stitch. And best of all I can take care of them my self, I got the book and DVD on how to care and fix them.

Old 12-10-2020, 09:56 AM

Hi from Southern California where we are wearing masks even to go outside and be safe. I've had all the top name brand machines and have found invariably that they sound good but don't always do what they're supposed to. I've had a Janome Horizon 8900 for the last 5 years and like it the best. It has a wide throat that you'd like for quilting and everything on it works like it should.

I also have a Janome Gem Gold that's lightweight for taking to classes (sure hope we can do that again and soon!) that works well but has a major design defect: the 1/4" feature is more like 3/8" so it requires some fiddling, but that can be adjusted.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:52 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Without knowing your budget, perhaps try out some before deciding at your local quilt shop in your area. It might be tough right now to find one open but a good shop which offers service and lessons can be helpful.
Go with a list of your must haves...as much throat space as you can get, needle up/ down feature, a nice array of specialty stitches if you do machine appliqué...etc.
Old 12-11-2020, 04:36 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan!
Old 12-11-2020, 07:43 AM

Welcome from another Iowan. As someone else has mentioned it will depend on your budget as machines can get pricey. Try out all machines you can as some fit the person better than others. Plus decide what you want on your machine......automatic thread cutter, fancy stitches, embroidery or not, whether it needs oiling or is self oiling as the newer machines seem to be that type. How wide a throat you'll need for quilting on it. There's so many variable to consider but you need to find the one that fits you perfectly.
Old 12-11-2020, 08:30 AM

Default Viking Sapphire 930 or opal 690

We have a local sewing store that sells vikings. The only one I've sewn on is a cheap 79.00 singer. I would like a wide throat but I really want to know about reliability. Anything more that a straight/ zigzag stitch is gravy. Budget 2k
Old 12-11-2020, 08:54 AM

Welcome from Washington State!

I am a vintage machine user. I love my vintage mechanical Bernina machines! I have no need for a wide throat and no desire for a computerized sewing machine.

My niece diligently shopped for a new machine, and she decided to get a Juki. She is very happy with it. Her Juki has plenty of throat space and did not break her budget. I do not know much more about her experience, but there is plenty of information out there about Juki machines.

Sewsation
Old 12-11-2020, 01:57 PM

Welcome to QB! I live in Texas but was born in Iowa so always have a soft spot for people from Iowa.

I have several machines. My 25 year old Bernina is still my favorite all purpose machine but for pieciing, I love my old Singers. Such a beautiful straight stitch! I mostly use a newish Juki 2200 QVP Mini for quilting because of it's large throat space.
Old 12-11-2020, 02:32 PM
Power Poster

Hello and welcome from Mississippi!

I bought a Juki TL 2010Q several years ago to upgrade my quilting machines. It pieces so lovely, and also quilts well too. Straight stitch only. It's really a quilter. I bought mine from Ed Reichert in Arizona, online and mail order. They run around $1000 and are all mechanical. Never had the slightest problem with it in the 7 years I've owned it.

http://www.raichert.com/TL2010Q/tl2010.html