Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello from Kennedy, NY >

Hello from Kennedy, NY

Hello from Kennedy, NY

Old 09-13-2007, 07:43 AM

Hi. I am just branching into quilting. I currently do lots of Quaker style cross stitch. Hence, I love the BlackBird fabric line hehe.

I am lucky enough to live in Amish country, and am only 15 minutes from a great shop owned by two Amish sisters. They are so friendly and helpful. Most of the solid colors are less than $1.75 a yard. I don't think I saw any fabric over $4, and they have wonderful prints even. They have a snag of calicos at $2 a yard :)

I am making a scrappy quilt for my first venture into quilting. I'm using an old sheet for the foundation.

I do have one question... my top stitches are great on my sewing machine, but my bobbin stitches are horrible. Why does this happen? Is it fixable? I have no clue why it does it. I have a Brother sewing machine, nothing fancy at all. The bobbin loads from the front and stands on end, not a drop in.

I will try and post a picture of the start of my quilt top as soon as I can.

Amanda :)
Old 09-13-2007, 08:07 AM

Amanda, if you can show us a picture of your mess on the back we will do our best to help you figure out how to fix the problem. Welcome to the family. Do you know if "your" quilt store has a website? We would love to be able to "visit".
Old 09-13-2007, 08:18 AM

Nope... they are Amish, so there's no electric, or a telephone! I will try and remember to scan the back of my project so you can see the mess... it's real loose and ragged looking, not neat and tight like the top. I wind my bobbins on the machine properly, and they are good and tight, so I'm not sure what the issue is.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:38 AM

The bobbin problem is more then most likely your tension. Have you fiddled with it to see if it makes a difference. Also change your needle. Sometime the silliest things can cause problems. Also when you start sewing do you hold your tread string taunt or begin with a starter fabric first? Yep we will all try to help. :D
Old 09-13-2007, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board :D You came upon a great place to get help, share your new interest and meet new friends :D How lucky you are to have access to such a wonderful fabric shop! You have no idea how envious we are :mrgreen:
Old 09-14-2007, 04:10 PM

Hi Nepthys and welcome to the board. I see you've found the current Block of the Month, if you want to check out previous blocks there is a fixed post at the top of the main board with links in it to all the other BOMs :P .

Also re your bobbin, I don't know if this is the case but could be poss, so thought I'd mention it. My bernina sews like that when I forget and put the bobbin in the wrong way, Alot of machines have the bobbin running anticlockwise my bernina is clockwise and sometimes I forgets :lol:
Old 09-15-2007, 04:49 AM

I adjusted the top tension and slightly and it works perfectly now!
Old 09-17-2007, 10:41 AM

Hi and welcome to the group. I used to live in Arkwright. Now we're in Allegany Co. but we get over home every once in a while. I feel a road trip coming. This is a great group to learn from and ask questions. Don't be afraid to ask.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:04 PM

Hi I'm from Alabama, Your so lucky to get fabric that resonable, you asked about your lower bobbin thread, Iv'e noticed on mine a janome.,when that happens its always the bobbin thread , it comes out of the slot on the bobbincase , irethread it and it works fine probably needs adusting.but thats one case i hate to fool with because i have got it out of sinc.... lots of times, so when i get it happy i leave it alone. :D
Have a good week ......memawsaquilting
Old 09-17-2007, 05:43 PM

Welcome to the family! Glad to have you! Wow, lucky you to get fabric at a great price. We'd love to see some of your work if you'd like to share!