Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello from NE Texas! >

Hello from NE Texas!

Hello from NE Texas!

Old 06-09-2010, 04:34 PM

Hi all from the NE corner of Texas. I grew up around quilts and quilting. My Granny, her sisters and friends were constantly piecing or quilting. They belonged to a quilting group that got together every Tuesday and I often went there after school just to watch and to listen to all of their conversations. Granny had a quilt frame that hung from the ceiling in her bedroom and she and her sisters could often be found in there quilting away. The most I ever did was to help cut out the fabric pieces. I sewed, but never really did any quilting.

Three or four months ago, my mother and I cut out a quilt (carpenter's square) for my great aunt to piece. She does all of her piecing by hand and I was shocked when she called my after about six days to tell me she had the top completed! She and I took it to her friend to be longarm quilted. It turned out beautiful! And I was bitten!!!

I decided to try machine piecing a quilt top and figured I would just take it to be longarm quilted. However, when I finished it, I decided that I loved making quilts but I needed to learn to machine quilt to cut expenses.

I found this board while searching the internet for quilting information and patterns. I have to admit, I am totally addicted to this board! I have learned so much and all of you ladies and gentlemen. You have kept me laughing, while also keeping me inspired and motivated.

The first picture below is of my very first quilt. It has a few pleats and puckers, but I read on this quilting board where someone refers to those as kisses, so that's my story and I'm sticking to it! LOL

The second picture is of my second quilt that I made for my mother for Mother's Day.

1st Quilt - Lone Star
[ATTACH=CONFIG]82475[/ATTACH]

2nd Quilt - D9P
[ATTACH=CONFIG]82476[/ATTACH]

Label on D9P
[ATTACH=CONFIG]82477[/ATTACH]

Carpenter's wheel made by my great aunt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]82478[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-82470.jpe   attachment-82471.jpe   attachment-82472.jpe   attachment-82473.jpe  
Old 06-09-2010, 04:40 PM

Hi and welcome from the sunny state of Florida!!
Your quilts are absolutely stunning! Your first quilt is awesome & so is the quilting.
The quilt by your aunt is fabulous! Definitely to be an heirloom!
Old 06-09-2010, 04:42 PM
bj

Hi and welcome from another Texan. I have a home in Lubbock, but also an apartment in Austin, where I babysit my grandson. So glad you joined us. Your quilts are wonderful.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Power Poster

Welcome!
Old 06-09-2010, 04:57 PM

Welcome from Alaska. Your first quilt is stunning and well done. I know my first one was not as accomplished. Your other two quilts are great too!
Old 06-09-2010, 05:15 PM

Thank you all. I have always been partial to star quilts and the Lone Star has always been the ultimate star quilt for me. I just wish I had known to use starch when i was working with all those bias edges! I have learned so much from this board and I am very thankful that all of you quilters are so wonderful to share your tips. I love the pictures section for inspiration, but I also love reading all the information you freely share. Keep it coming!!!
Old 06-09-2010, 05:22 PM
Power Poster

Hello and welcome from Ontario.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:48 PM

Hello from southeastern Michigan!! I love your quilts!! You certainly took on a difficult and challenging one for your first one!! Very brave of you! :thumbup:
Old 06-09-2010, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by pab58
Hello from southeastern Michigan!! I love your quilts!! You certainly took on a difficult and challenging one for your first one!! Very brave of you! :thumbup:
What can I say...I'm just a glutton for punishment! LOL
Old 06-09-2010, 05:53 PM

Welcome form another Texas quilter