Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello! New Quilter Here! >

Hello! New Quilter Here!

Hello! New Quilter Here!

Old 02-01-2020, 06:35 PM

Welcome from Alberta, Canada. I only just started my quilting journey in 2019. It's a bit addictive. Congratulations on your upcoming son.
Old 02-02-2020, 05:42 AM

Welcome to the board from NE Ohio .
Old 02-03-2020, 05:54 AM

Hello from sunny AZ & wow dying your own fabric is pretty impressive!
Old 02-04-2020, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by granky View Post
Ha! I'm with you on the house cleaning bit....anyway, welcome to the quilting board! You sound as though you are off to a running start, but we would love to see some pictures! (We old people are like children...we love pictures!)
Hi there! I will definitely post photos when they are done! I do a little vlog every month and I've been documenting the work there, too! I don't know if I'm allowed to post links to videos that we make, but I'm perfectly happy with working on things slowly. I do have a bit of experience, but I come from a garment making background - I make most of my own clothes and used to work in a textile restoration firm when I was in graduate school - so I have lots of sewing experience...just not quilting experience!
Old 02-04-2020, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Welcome from Ontario, Canada. My big hand quilting frame back in the day, was 4 1X3 sanded boards held together with C clamps in each corner and it sat on 4 chair backs. In the old days, they sometimes used the board frames and suspended the corners from the ceiling. “Where there’s a will, there’s a way.“
That sounds like a great quilting frame - I remember my mom having something like that but all of the quilts she made were tied quilts - nothing was quilted. My dad would set it up and take it down for her but she eventually stopped sewing after a while. I did buy a zook frame from someone that's new in box (!!) and I have to build it. I'm grateful I have the instructions for it and I'm going to try to get that going this weekend!
Old 02-04-2020, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
Family first, quilting next and just as important, cleaning.... somewhere down the line. Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan! Glad to have you here. Jump right in and discover the world of friendly quilter here that love to share. You indigo quilt sounds ambitious and beautiful. I for one would love to see pictures of what you have done and are doing. Looking forward to seeing you in these parts of the QB.
Hi! I'm from Michigan, too! The Detroit Area! I'll definitely post photos once the quilts are finished!
Old 02-04-2020, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
Welcome from Vermont! I also hand quilt but I love using a hoop. I can sit back in my comfy chair and quilt. A frame, I feel like you would be leaning forward and my back would hurt.
Those are good thoughts - I machine quilted my first quilt - this is my first hand quilted one. My hope is that it'll become the "living room project" -- that is, the project I work on while we're just hanging in the living room together. The zook Quilting frame does lift up but I'm not sure if it's able to be angled. We'll see once it's built!
Old 02-06-2020, 07:57 PM

Welcome from Washington!
Old 02-12-2020, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board! I love hand quilting too.
You will get a lot of inspiration here and help whenever you need it. Lots of knowledgeable and friendly people!