Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello from Ontario! >

Hello from Ontario!

Hello from Ontario!

Old 11-05-2011, 07:31 AM

Default Hello from Ontario!

Hi All!

I have been visiting the board for a couple of weeks now, learning my way around and peeking at everyone's beautiful work and finally decided that I should come out of hiding!

I am not a new quilter but i haven't quilted in a long time, and my poor sewing machine hasn't seen much use other than hemming pants in a few years. :-) I am a full time professional artist and art teacher by trade, I started in the decorative arts industry where I spent 25 years travelling, designing, publishing and teaching but as my work progressed and my tastes and interests evolved I decided to make the leap into the "fine" art industry where I have been pleasingly successful, earning a "Best of Show" at Paint Ontario earlier this year! I also do commission Pet Portraits...and I take all my own photographs so all of that keeps my pretty busy!

As the cycle of life moves forward I am now at the stage where my children have left the nest, my husband is "apprenticing" for retirement and only working PT at an antique mall. Next year we are planning to sell our house and embark on another big move and an even bigger project (huge actually) renovating my family home (since 1873) and opening it as a B&B with a small art gallery/gift shop/antique shop.

Having said all that, I have been sewing since I was a young girl, learned on my Great grandmothers Singer treadle (which I still have) and by the time I was a teen I was sewing clothing, quilts, and home decor...and I carried on with that after I was married with baby quilts, baby clothes...and then prom dresses and ball gowns (eek!) and always home decor...drapery, pillows and slipcovers every time we moved.

...so, in preparation for all of that (and the possible arrival of a grandbaby in the not too distant future "maybe" shhhh...) I feel the pull back to the sewing machine and I have set my goals on polishing my quilting skills and completing the quilts that will be used by the B&B part of our venture! I have hauled out all my old quilting books and started sorting through my stash and I think I am going to start on a couple of small projects, maybe a wall quilt or table square.

I guess that is about it for now, I am not sure when I will have anything to show you but I do enjoy visiting and will jump in when I can, probably in the vintage machine section as my hubby keeps bringing home "lost souls" that he intends to restore LOL .....the last one to arrive is a Singer 15-90 which I can and will use for FM quilting :-)

Warmest Regards,
Joann
Mitchell ON

P.S. I do have a website/blog for my art and photography, I'm not sure if the rules allow me to give that out so if anyone is interested I will send the link.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:36 AM

Welcome from Kentucky!
Old 11-05-2011, 07:45 AM

Hello, and welcome from Michigan!
Old 11-05-2011, 08:43 AM

Hi! Welcome from Minnesota US !
Old 11-05-2011, 09:06 AM

Hi, welcome from Central Coast California.

Deb
Old 11-05-2011, 12:18 PM

Greetings! Welcome from Minnesota!
Old 11-05-2011, 12:38 PM

Welcome Joann . We are glad to have you.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:43 PM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 11-05-2011, 08:33 PM

Hello and Welcome
Old 11-05-2011, 08:34 PM

Hi and welcome to the board from Iowa.