Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hello From Texas

Hello From Texas

Hello. I am new to the forum. I am new to sewing. I am going to attempt to make a quilt for my sister. We lost our mother unexpectedly and I am going to try to quilt with her clothes and some other fabrics. Hello everyone and wish me luck.

Power Poster
    ​Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Pick a simple pattern like 4 patch or 9 patch to build your confidence. Working with fabrics that are not cotton can be challenging.

Blog Entries
    Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Power Poster
    Welcome from Michigan! Best of luck on your quilt! Sorry for the loss of your Mother.

Blog Entries
    Welcome from SE Michigan to the QB! Let the creative juices roll on this new quilt you are planning as your first quilt. I am assured you will do very well. Jump right in all questions are welcome and you will find so many people available to help you out. Happy quilting!

Welcome to the board from another Texan. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your mother. I think that making a quilt from her clothes will provide some healing & good memories. This board is very, very helpful so if you run into problems or have questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Learn to take pictures & post them here also. Sometimes it is easier to answer a question if we can visually "see" the thing that you are working on. I don't think you will regret making this first quilt & will cherish it for a lifetime.

Blog Entries
    Welcome from Southern Indiana! If you can sew a straight line, you can make a quilt. It may not be perfect, but don't let the quilt police near it. I'm sure it won't be your last one. Be sure to post pictures...we love them!
    Life happens...and we react...

Hello and I'm so sorry about your mother. Many people come to quilting with such a project, some find a new hobby and others are one and done.

Lots of things can come up in such a project, some are sewing related and some not -- but we are here for you, whatever your joys or sorrows may be.

We all start some time and a first quilt is very special, especially one like this so if you could keep us up to date and maybe even a picture when you are done, we love pictures! It took me months before I figured out all the inter-relationships between my obscure browser super locked down with virus protectors and my old school digital camera... I think it is easier with a phone! FAQ section has some great help for most people,
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/qb-help-center-f27/
    Quilters: Advanced tool using humans.

Hello from Colorado. Sorry for your loss, what a wonderful idea for a quilt. QB everyone is helpful and so encouraging.

Welcome from Alberta, Canada. My condolences on the loss of your mom. I hope your project brings you peace.
    "Marriage should be a balanced stalemate between equal adversaries"
    Amelia Peabody Emerson

Hugs to you. A quilt made of your mom's clothing would be so nice. It's hard to mix fabric types (wovens with knits, etc) so don't let issues with that quilt discourage you from the hobby.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
    Nobody ever went wrong with kindness.

Blog Entries
    I think someone on here showed their bears made with clothing in Pictures. they are so cute, you might think of doing something like that rather than a quilt. or also.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Blog Entries
    the photo of the bears is under Diaries and Announcements.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Welcome from Houston! How long have you been quilting? The project with your mother's clothes will be a challenge and a healing experience. Good for you!
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Welcome from Round Rock, TX. I am so truly so sorry for your loss. Quilting a memory quilt is a great idea. It's a touching tribute to your loved one. Please share photos when you are done. Glad you joined the forum. This is an exceptional group!
    Family is a priority, not a convenience!
    Take time to be friendly... It's the road to happiness.
    Take time to give... It is too short a day to be selfish.