Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello from travlr99 >

Hello from travlr99

Hello from travlr99

Old 06-26-2007, 09:58 PM

Hi - my job takes me all around the country and my sewing machine goes right with me. I take more fabric with me as I travel than clothes! I grew up sewing many of my clothes in high school, than got away from it after college. I'm back! Sewing clothes for my granddaughter, trying to make the perfect purse, and of course, quilts. Does any one stretch their fabric before cutting when the grain doesn't line up?
Old 06-27-2007, 02:20 AM

Hey there, And welcome. Should you stretch the fabric when it dosen't line up? Would that not create pbls with the finished piece?
Old 06-27-2007, 05:26 AM

I remember spending lots of time helping my mom stretch fabric, and now I try to do it when the grain doesn't line up. I was told by someone that if the fabric has polyester or other synthetics in it, that it won't work. I have also notice that more and more fabric, including 100 % cotton, is cut way off grain. If you straighten it,you can lose a lot, and if you only bought a small amount and need most of it, that can cause a major problem.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:19 PM

welcome Terri I never streched any fabric on purpose so can't help you there. I'm sure someone will comealong with an answer for you
Old 07-01-2007, 04:51 AM

I have never heard of this........I have some fabric I bought that is way off after washing............It was half yard piece, I gave it to my 6 yr old grandaughter for her quilt...........Please start a thread on the board about this. I would like to read more. Ruthie :D :D :D :D :D :D
Old 10-18-2007, 08:18 AM

I do not. I adjust my fold until it is on the grain. My good quilting friend swears by the stretch method. Her method saves fabric. Mine is a little wasteful.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:27 AM

Back when I sewed clothes alot we always stretched the fabric first. So when I started quilting I thought it strange that we didn't. But maybe the difference is that with clothes it would throw off the way they hang on the person. In quilting we use much smaller pieces so you don't have a whole sleeve or front of a dress to worry about how it hangs.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:09 PM

Hi Terri,
I began my sewing with sewing clothes, too. Quilting was the next step for me. The stretching came in handy during the years of duck cloth, cottons, and twills. That method still works well if you have it curl out of wack after you wash it. My son and husband get so out of sorts, but since I hold wood for their projects they help ease the stretch for me. :lol: :lol:

I'm a believer in washing fabrics before quilting because of all the shrinkage.

Glad you joined us, now jump in the water, we don't bite! We try to help everyone that asks...

Happy Quilting,
Sharon
Old 11-22-2007, 09:02 AM

Hi Terr, I am also interested in the stretch factor. Never heard of it and I have been sewing for years. Just started couple of years ago. Glad you joined and Welcome.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:12 AM

Hi, just read my original message. I have been sewing for years, but just started quilting :wink: couple of years ago.