Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Help, vintage 1970's Dressmaker info needed >

Help, vintage 1970's Dressmaker info needed

Help, vintage 1970's Dressmaker info needed

Old 03-27-2020, 03:45 PM

Default Help, vintage 1970's Dressmaker info needed

Hello,
I just joined and am hoping to get some help finding some info about this cute little machine I found. The upper tension spring is broken and I'm not sure which one to order. A standard singer bobbin case works. (Class 15?) It says The Standard Sewing Machine Co. Made in Japan on the back and says Model STD-7 Serial number 2267
Old 03-27-2020, 05:00 PM

Welcome from Southern Indiana! I can't help you with your search, but I'm sure someone on the board can...especially since there is a forum just for older sewing machines. Good luck!
Old 03-28-2020, 04:24 AM

Welcome aboard! Can't help you directly other than I love vintage machines because you can do the work yourself -- when you know what you have and what to order.

Anyway, greetings a safe personal space away from Seattle.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:03 AM

Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan! I can't help you on the spring but am sure that someone here should be able to give you a lead. I had a similar machine back in the 70's I can't recall what happened to it. I most likely gave it away to someone. I do things like that from time to time. Please just jump right in and join the fun.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:39 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan!
Old 03-30-2020, 07:07 AM

Most likely the spring from a Singer model 15 would do it. Could you send a tiny picture of your machine for a reference. It sounds like you may have a 15 clone or maybe it is new enough to be a dashboard model.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:09 AM

I lost one of those springs at an out door event. Didn't find it till years later when the car was totaled and we were cleaning it out. What a surprise.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
Could you send a tiny picture of your machine for a reference.
A picture would help, but does not need to be tiny. It does usually need to be reduced or compressed. I was reducing to 640x480 pixels. I may change that to something a bit larger since they changed how pictures are attached.

I'm not sure, but I think it is probably like https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage1974...oAAOSwtC5eeYiI I'm not sure which check spring it would take. Here are a variety of check springs at https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/se...pring&index=39 The OP said that it was broken, perhaps there is enough there to tell which would work.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 04-06-2020, 08:47 AM

Default Manual?

I have a Universal STD-7 serial# 1515. I recently acquired and was hoping someone has a manual?
Old 04-07-2020, 06:14 AM

nsofti. First of all welcome aboard. I can't help you on your universal. but I can get you some more attention. If you start your own thread more people are likely to see is. and you might put Universal STD-7 in the title. and maybe a picture. if it was built 50 years ago or so you might put it in the vintage forum.

Hello from Kansa, USA