Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Introduce Yourself
  • Hi from Albuquerque, NM >
  • Hi from Albuquerque, NM

• Hi from Albuquerque, NM

Old 06-18-2007, 03:41 AM

Greetings from the SW!! I've been quilting for about 5 years, self taught. Never took a formal class but joined a quilt group and learned tons from those gals. Picked up lots of techniques by reading other quilting forums.

:cry: My mom is a victim of nursing home neglect/abuse and now lives with us...DH, and two sons (23/17). I've taken a leave of absece from my job (Elem School Libraria) to stay home to care for her. She bed ridden, stage 4 bed sore, unable to wak. Really sad shape.

I used to jokingly say that quilting was my theapy but since Mom fell in Jan and broke her hip, quilting or playing with fabric truely IS my coping mechanism (sp).

I love this hobby and find myself playing with fabric every day. Poor family is starving but they know how to work the microwave and Buger King is just up the hill. :mrgreen:

Enough about me. Back to the machine.

Julie in NM

If you never work on it, you'll never finish it!
    Old 06-18-2007, 04:04 AM

Welcome Julie, sounds like you have your hands full. Your mother is blessed to have you. So many people ignore their elderly. It will be hard on you but it will come back to you in all sorts of blessings!!!
    this board helps to relieve all sorts of stress, we are like family. Keep sharing with us!
    Old 06-18-2007, 06:06 AM

Welcome Julie. I am so sorry about your Mother, but we're here for you.

Take care,
    Carla
    Old 06-18-2007, 08:32 AM

Welcome Julie! George Jetson is one of my heros. Love the microwave! :lol:
    Old 06-19-2007, 04:48 AM

Welcome Julie! you will love it here. take care of yourself also. I have been visiting the hospital since Easter to see father-in Law and it is taking a toll on us. My sewing machine is my best friend when I need to let it all out. Donna
    Old 06-19-2007, 05:01 AM

Heads up on hospital visits. We didn't know it but Mom's problems started when she developed a small sore on her bottom after hip surgery. That sore was unattended in the nursing home and it quickly progressed to Stage 4...the worse...in four months. Make sure someone in the family checks the back side of your F-I-L with the nurse. Any open wound on the bottom can get bad real fast. We were more worried about Mom's nutrition and just assumed everyone was taking care of the wound. WRONG. Donna, please heed my waring.

Hospitals HAVE to do what the family requests...especially when the family member who has Power of Attorney makes demands.

Since you've been visiting him since Easter, I can only assume this is a very serious situation. My heart goes out to you. Feel free to contact me by e-mail. I understand.

Julie in NM [email protected]
    Old 08-10-2007, 10:50 AM

My Father was a victim of bed sores and on hospice, they got him a special air mattress to help relieve the pressure on the sores. if you are eligible for hospice medicare pays for it. I'm sure quilting helps relieve the tennsion.
    my prayers are with you

SSC
    Old 08-10-2007, 11:30 AM

Yes I know about the bed. She' has one now and medicare/AARP pays for it. I refused to sign the hospice forms since no one could prove to me she is end stage Alzeheimers. So we just muddle along with Home Health care. Scary how fast the medican profession wanted to write her off. Oh well...B/S are healing but it's a very slow process. Thanks for the info. Julie in NM
    Old 10-11-2007, 09:44 AM

Hi from Los Lunas NM.
    Quilting is also my therapy. I am a 5 time cancer survivor. Currently in treatment. Also left my job as an accountant because of health......my own.
    Connie
    Old 10-13-2007, 06:12 AM

Hello Julie and Connie from NM,
    I'm so glad to meet you both! It's a wonderful thing to have the therapy that helps in any way. I admire your tenacity, both of you, in your life situations. You've come to the right place, this bunch is the most caring helpful, good listening group you'll ever meet!

Please do visit often and let us ease your fears/worries by listening. There's a special place in our hearts for everyone that quilts and especially those that care for the elders in their lives and those that fight the strong battle of body ravages.

Several here are in the same situations, you'll find venting space and so much caring from all of us. Meet us in chat or here any chance you get!
    Hugs,
    Sharon