Hi all

Old 10-25-2009, 01:04 AM

Hi

I'm new here, not started quilting as yet, trying to learn the ropes so to speak. I'm 37 and from the UK, married with two furry kids (cats). I'm an avid crafter & collector of books of all kinds.

winding_branch
Old 10-25-2009, 02:01 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board from Ireland, Winding. I am an Englishwoman in exile here. Hope you like it here, eveyone is very friendly
Old 10-25-2009, 03:28 AM

hi to you too!
so your new to quilting, what is going to be your first project?! do you have your basic supplies yet? cutting matt,rotary cutter,ruler and Fabric?!
Old 10-25-2009, 03:44 AM
Banned

Welcome from Washington
Sew glad you joined us :D
Old 10-25-2009, 06:01 AM

Welcome, you will love this group. Everyone so helpful and lots of great ideas. I'm from UK now in the US. Where in UK are you from.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:19 AM

*Waves from Iowa* :)
Old 10-25-2009, 08:30 AM

Hello, and welcome from Missouri, in the middle of the U.S.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Power Poster

Hello and Welcome!!! :D :D :D
How may we all help you in getting started on your first quilting project??? :wink:
Old 10-28-2009, 04:01 PM

Hi to all,

I'm actually from Bedfordshire in the UK. The area is a bit dull & there is not much to do around here. I'd go crazy with boredom without my crafts as I don't work due to a disability.

with regards to the quilting, I am feeling a bit overwhelmed lol! any help would be great. I have no idea what to do as a first project maybe a lap quilt or something smaller. I'd love to hear your suggestions. What was your first project?

I'm gathering supplies at the moment, I have a rotary cutter and mat & a square ruler thingy that I just can't make head nor tail of how to use. I've read a couple of general quilting books but boy are they sketchy with the guidelines!. I decided to buy Alex Anderson's hand quilting one with beginner projects & I am so excited I'm going nuts waiting for it to arrive. Has anyone used it as a beginner? it has great reviews. I'm a hands on type person which is why I'd love to try hand quilting, but I do love the art quilts done on a machine too. I have also fallen in love with the string quilt designs as I love random things with lots of colour oh & the beautiful crazy quilted quilts. I do have some material but it's very random design & type wise. I believe I need 100% cotton for most quilting apart from crazy quilting & art quilts is that right? Do any of you hand quilt? I'd really love some tips on hoops do I use one freehand or with a lap hoop or on floor stand? I'm baffled as to where to begin....

Thanks in advance :D
Old 10-28-2009, 04:05 PM

Hi and welcome from Tennessee. This place is a great place to come for all kinds of advise for quilting... I'm rather new here myself and I've gotten great advise.. I've only been quilting for about 4 months, but I'm hooked!!

We're glad to have you join us! :D