Hi all!

Old 03-26-2008, 09:04 AM

I'm new to the world of quilting--how I got here, I don't know! One day I was walking through Kmart and came across a Kenmore sewing machine that was marked down to $40 (from $100)--how could I pass that up?--and the next day I'm waiting for 8 yards of fabric to be delivered.

Growing up, I had a quilt my grandmother gave me in 1988 (I was 6)--and up until a few years ago, I never slept a night without it--it even went to college with me. But now, I'm engaged, living away from home, and my quilt has been misplaced (I'm not ready to admit that it might be lost forever).

So, I'm gonna make my own; very basic: 3-inch squares in 4 different colors. There's just so much information and I'm overwhelmed by it all. But, I'm the type you just need to jump right in--I'm gonna do the top and worry about the rest when it's time.

I've spent a couple hours looking over this forum and it looks like a great place! And I thank you all--in advance--for all your help and inspiration!
Old 03-26-2008, 10:19 AM

Welcome! I'm running a Kenmore these days, too. You can use the Search function above to find some of the threads on beginner quilts. Another source is Eleanor Burns' Quilt in a Day books and videos. Once you learn a few basic techniques, the rest comes easily.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:45 AM

Welcome, Thaat first quilt is scarrey but you will do just fine. I even dove into hand quilting my first one and it turned out great. Just keep in mind the little engine that could!!lol
Old 03-26-2008, 11:48 AM

Hi and Welcome. If you have any questions and all just ask. We all love to help. I have only been quilting for a few years now, but I can tell you once you start there is no going back. Also just goggle free learn how to quilt and you will find every thing you need to know for free on the web. One of the best places is aboutquilting.com or maybe it is quiltingabout.com Check it out. There are a lot of resorses out there along with this group. Don't forget we love pictures! :D
Old 03-26-2008, 11:59 AM
bj

Hi and welcome to the board! Glad to have you! Some good shows on tv to look for are Quilt in a Day with Eleanor Burns, Simply Quilts with Alex Anderson, Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting. Online, a couple of good, free places for video help are: allpeoplequilt.com, allthingsfrugal.com/quilting, and brightcove.com. There are a lot of people on this site with lots of experience (not me :) however) and they are always so helpful! You've found a very supportive group of quilting friends!
Old 03-26-2008, 01:23 PM

Welcome!
These ladies will inspire you to do things you've never dreamed of, ok, you may have dreamed of it, but you will find yourself WANTING to do it. I have a few other quilts in mind I want to make, especially a bargello, but I'm scared to try that one. I'm sure once I do, I'll get a lot of help and encouragement from here.
Just post some pictures. That reminds me....I have to post the pic of the quilt my daughter made. Ok, I sewed it, but she helped cut the squares and designed it.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:46 PM

Hi again, BJ gave a good thought about the vidios. If you go to Links and Resourses at this menu then you will find lots of info for vidios. :D
Old 03-26-2008, 02:05 PM

Welcome to our quilting family. Once you get the first one done you will be hooked. I'm a fairly new quilter myself. I just started last year but now that the quilting bug has bit it bit really hard. I can't go into a store without looking for fabric now. If you have any questions just ask and I promise you will get lots of good free advice. Like the others said we love pictures so please let us see your quilt in progress. You are going to love it here.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:27 PM

Welcome to this site. I am sure you will fall in love with quilting.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:39 PM

Thanks everyone!

I followed a link someone posted in another thread--can't remember the lady's name, but she was very happy about her squares. But I learned a lot just from that and think it will help once I start cutting. And quilting.about.com is a nice place too.

I did cut a few squares from some old curtains I had and sewed them together into a little practice quilt top--not perfect, but not bad either.

The tracking info for my fabric says it should be here tomorrow--I can't wait! I know I'm probably being overly ambitious, but I planning on starting with a queen size :shock:

Thanks for the welcome; I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions!