Hi! New here!

Old 05-14-2020, 07:44 PM

Smile Hi! New here!

Hi,

I recently bought a sewmor 606 from a thrift shop and was wondering if anyone had any tips to clean/get it up and running.
I have noticed that when plugged into the foot pedal the motor does not turn on/the foot pedal does not engage the motor. But, when plugged into the light outlet it works.

Any advice or thoughts would be helpful
Old 05-15-2020, 03:36 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan. There is a subgroup on the forum all about vintage machines.
Old 05-15-2020, 04:27 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. I would start with cleaning and oiling where the manual indicates. If you don’t have a manual, try the internet.
Old 05-15-2020, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the QB and happy quilting
Old 05-15-2020, 05:00 AM

Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan! As mentioned there is a sub group for vintage machines here and someone there should be able to help. I am unfamiliar with this machine. I too would start with the manual. Look online if you do not have it. Again welcome aboard, I look forward to seeing you here!
Old 05-15-2020, 05:24 AM

Welcome aboard!

My vintage machine has the two plug ins, one for the foot pedal and one for basic power, I dropped the foot pedal and after some 60+ years the bakelite/early plastic channel inside it shattered and the foot shorted out. If I changed the cords, the machine ran in full on mode, the foot pedal didn't control it, so I had to get a "new to me" foot.

So the Sewmor are what we call "post war Japanese badged machines" singer clones, sturdy little workhorse machines.

Here's a link to the manual.

https://www.sewingmachinemanual.com/...anual-606.html
Old 05-15-2020, 06:11 AM

Welcome, tom80sauce. There used to be someone on QB that had several of the Sewmor machines.

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

That is unusual that when plugged into the "motor" outlet that the pedal won't work. Generally, we hear of people plugging it in and the motor goes full speed without touching the pedal. That is usually because it is plugged in to the light socket. I'm wondering if the cover got placed on the block incorrectly.

A manual for the 606 can be found at https://dutres.files.wordpress.com/2...ewmorebook.pdf

As far as cleaning vintage machines, usually it is recommended to wipe down with sewing machine oil. That is the least destructive for the old japanned machines and decals. Since your machine is newer, it should be able to be wiped down with a wrung out damp rag and dried with a terry towel. The manual shows where to oil. The motors can be a whole different story and usually isn't covered by the instruction manuals.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Old 05-15-2020, 08:59 AM

Welcome from Southern Indiana, and good luck with your sewing machine!