Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hi, from New Jersey >

Hi, from New Jersey

Hi, from New Jersey

Old 02-26-2015, 11:42 AM

Default Hi, from New Jersey

Hi, my name is Mary Ann. I have been a sewer all my life, but have never made a quilt yet.

I found this Board in a Google search that pulled up a link for someone else who has the same Sears Kenmore sewing machine that I have. I also posted the message below on that thread... and I also need to find a piece for my machine. Here I a copy and paste of what I wrote on the other thread. Thanks!
------------------------------------------
I pulled this thread up in a Google search trying to also find out if my Sears Kenmore Model 158.17741 is a "Super High Shank" machine. I thought I'd come back and post this very helpful website that shows you how to measure your machine. I can confirm that my model is a Low Shank machine. If you scroll down below the measuring diagram, the website alphabetically lists all sewing machine manufacturers with all their model numbers for their shank size...

http://www.nancysnotions.com/text/co...otlisting.html

I joined this Board as well, since I plan make my first quilt very soon. Also, I've been trying to cheaply find a new low shank piece (just the shank portion) of a new foot for my machine. There is a tiny piece of very thin medal on the bottom of the shank that holds the feet attachments on the shank piece and it is held on the shank with a very fine tiny little screw. That's the piece I need. If anyone can help me find a new piece, please let me know. That tiny little piece of metal on my shank bottom (the little piece of dark metal with the little screw) has snapped off on my shank -- so I can't snap the feet onto it anymore. Thanks, if anyone can point me in the right direction to find a replacement low shank... or just the little piece of black metal that has snapped off on my shank. I could just unscrew the broken piece and replace with a new piece if there is a way to find just that part?
Old 02-26-2015, 12:15 PM

Sorry, can't help you with your problem. However, there are many on this site who can. Just wanted to welcome you to the board from the beautiful mountains of western NC.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:39 PM

Hi Mary Ann. Welcome from another Jersey Girl. Not sure where in the state you might be but I can highly recommend the SM doc that I use here in the central part of the state. Otherwise I'm not sure where to get parts for your machine locally. If you don't want to put the info out here in public, send me a PM and I'll be happy to give you what info I have.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

​Welcome from Ontario, Canada.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:34 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
Old 02-27-2015, 04:54 AM

Welcome from OHIO!
Old 02-27-2015, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan!
Old 02-27-2015, 06:23 AM

welcome from se TX
Old 02-27-2015, 01:13 PM

Default Jersey Girls

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
Hi Mary Ann. Welcome from another Jersey Girl. Not sure where in the state you might be but I can highly recommend the SM doc that I use here in the central part of the state. Otherwise I'm not sure where to get parts for your machine locally. If you don't want to put the info out here in public, send me a PM and I'll be happy to give you what info I have.
I'm also Central NJ... your SM doc wouldn't happen to be Stefan who works out of Fabric Warehouse in Rahway? Next time I bring my SM for a tune-up/cleaning, I was planning on including the broken piece with a note to see if he can fix it or if he has one to sell me.

BTW, Sears no longer makes the part for my machine, which is called a Clamping Shank, Part #37170. In the meantime, I've ordered a new low shank foot from this website, which they tell me will fit my model -
http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/sew...sser-feet.aspx

And thanks to everyone for the very nice greetings here on this Welcome Board. I was inspired this afternoon to lug down my box of fabric scraps from the attic. Now I have a lot of sorting to do before I can make a plan of action!
Old 02-27-2015, 08:35 PM

Hello Mary Ann, welcome from northern California!