Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hi Ya'll, another newbie here >

Hi Ya'll, another newbie here

Hi Ya'll, another newbie here

Old 10-08-2019, 10:57 AM

Default Hi Ya'll, another newbie here

So glad I found this forum! I have never quilted in my life and for whatever reason I've decided it's something I need to do. I'm sure I'm going to have ton of questions - So thanks in advance for your support.
I have been doing a lot of research and I think I have almost everything I need to start my first quilt. The one thing I can't figure out is... How do you know which batting to use?
My first quilt will be a simple fence rail pattern, I'm using flannel but can't figure out the best batting. I'm considering using fusible fleece to help reduce stretching the fabric. Would love to hear your opinions.

Thanks everyone, I'm looking to forward to my new adventure
Old 10-08-2019, 11:01 AM

Welcome to the Board.
Not sure about the batting, but be sure to pre-wash the flannel. It has a tendency to shrink A LOT! Ask me how I know. LOL
Have fun!!
Old 10-08-2019, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. It depends on the loft you want and how you are quilting it. A high loft polyester batt is harder to push through a regular sewing machine. I like to use 80/20 batt if I am quilting it myself. I have never used fusible fleece so I can’t give an opinion.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:33 PM

That gave me pause, (the fusible fleece thing) so I Googled it and guess what? It came back to this previous thread on here - ha!

fusible fleece

BTW - 'for whatever reason' is a great reason to try quilting! Hope you have fun!
Old 10-08-2019, 12:41 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
Old 10-08-2019, 12:43 PM

Welcome to the Quilting board, the quilting world and welcome from Southern Indiana. You're in for a real treat!
Old 10-08-2019, 02:37 PM

Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan! You will discover a host of very knowledge people here. Expert and new quilters and every one in between. Ask any questions you have. There is always someone who can come up with an answer. As far as batting it is pretty much you choice. Be sure to pre-wash the flannel. That being said you may want to go with something that is a low bat like Warm and Natural. It feels right, IMHO, when used with flannel. I will use a poly bat when I want more dimension to a quilt. I do want to see this rail fence when you get it done or while you are working on it. Happy quilting.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:51 PM

Welcome aboard!

Do wash the flannel first, if you are using strong colors I'd also put in a dye magnet/color catcher so you can see how much (if any) dye is cast off. Personally, I don't like working with flannel but I didn't realize that for a long time. Finishing up a donation quilt now that is reminding me of this...

I personally prefer a higher loft poly batting than warm and natural. The W&N is very easy to work with but to me very heavy. I also prefer less quilting than is currently popular, part of that is personal taste and part of it is ability -- I just don't think in that way. We have some great quilters here, however, who can do miraculous things with top by the glory of their work.

I decided as a senior in high school that I wanted to quilt, I don't come from a family of quilters. It was just something I wanted to do and have been doing it for some 40 years now, but I am always learning and improving. I'm self taught and unfortunately have learned many hard lessons I am willing to share or commiserate with.

So it's your first quilt and full of things to learn. Have fun along the way. I've gotten close but I've never had a perfect quilt, there is always a problem or something I would change, even if no one knows/sees them but me. Other than having fun, I think "there's always next time!" are the best advice I have
Old 10-08-2019, 03:11 PM

Howdy from Texas! So glad you have decided that you need to make a quilt. This is the board to come to for answers. I agree with the above posts....wash your flannel first. As for batting, I think it depends on how you like your quilt....low loft batting will be less "puffy" than high loft batting. Polyester batting dries a lot faster after washing. We love pictures & want to watch you as you make your first quilt. Will you be able to post progress pictures for us? When posting pictures, you have to reduce them to be accepted. Just play around with reducing until you get the right size that this board accepts.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:35 PM

Welcome from Arizona