Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
From the hills of Ky >

From the hills of Ky

From the hills of Ky

Old 01-28-2020, 08:39 PM

Default From the hills of Ky

Hello! New to this, but hoping to learn a lot! Love fooling with older sewing machines, finding missing parts is a challenge sometimes. How do I determine which tension assembly I need for a Japanese zig zag? It is completely missing, barrel and all! Any suggestions appreciated!
Old 01-28-2020, 08:51 PM

Welcome to the board from South Louisiana. We are more about piecing and quilting but there are several folks here that know so much about the older machines.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:07 PM

I quilt also, doing my first t-shirt quilt, going to attempt making a shirt also, I have never made any clothing, so it will be a new adventure. I only quilt by hand though as I am afraid to try to machine quilt.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:13 PM

Welcome to the Board from Minnesota. I'm afraid I don't know anything about machine workings. As Barb said, there are several people on here that are quite knowledgeable about such things. I admire anyone who quilts by hand, so don't feel you have to make excuses for doing it. We will love to see what you make.

Leslie
Old 01-29-2020, 04:21 AM

Hello Watheen, I saw you did post in the vintage section, I'm sure someone there will start asking the questions they need to know to find your answer. For quite awhile I used to pick up old machines, not so much fix them as clean them and get them operational and then they went to a charity that connected them with recent immigrant households or other people who wanted sewing machines so I have some basics in repair and cleaning but not the knowledge you need.

For most of the last 30 years I've been sewing on a Remington, a metal vintage Japanese machine much like a Morse. It is older than me and belonged to a friend's grandmother. It has a wonderful sturdy consistent straight stitch. A little over a year ago I was given a new-to-me modern Bernina that needs to go to the shop, so I'm back to my backup machines.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan!
Old 01-29-2020, 05:25 AM

Welcome from Southern We older people do love our older machines, don't we? They're the greathest!