Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
I want to buy a LA but... >

I want to buy a LA but...

I want to buy a LA but...

Old 04-14-2020, 11:43 AM

Default I want to buy a LA but...

I don't know how long it would take to learn and I can't afford not to make money. All the LA quilters in my area are at least a couple months out so I figured I should be able to get business.

Any thoughts on this?
Old 04-14-2020, 11:47 AM
Power Poster

You should wait until you can try out some long arm machines. You need to take a class on how to load the machine to get a quilt ready to quilt. It is a lot more labor intensive then you would think. Take a look at Lorena’s Quilting on YouTube as she has several tutorials on loading a quilt and the pros and cons of long-arm machine quilting for others.
Old 04-14-2020, 12:25 PM

I think a lot of people plan on paying for their long arms by quilting for others (and the dealers promote the idea), but I know a lot of people that bought long arms and for a wide variety of reasons did not like quilting for others. Of the many that try it, very few paid off their machines or are still doing it 5 years later -- and those are busy enough that they aren't taking new clients!

First thing I tell people to do is measure the space they intend to use and dedicate to the machine. You need a good sized family room or living room or single car garage to start with, and then you need storage and work space and where you will meet with your clients.

It does take time to build up sufficient skill, even using a computerized machine. Using my own skill set, I think I wouldn't be willing to quilt for someone else until I had about 6 months of pretty regular use. I was able to use a friend's set up for several years and know that for me at least it takes quite a bit of physical dexterity and hand/eye/muscle coordination and if I took off more than a couple of weeks it showed. If I had 3 months off, it took me 1-2 projects before being back up to snuff. I'd say that me personally being a bit fussy wouldn't be willing/able to do a custom piece for someone else until after maybe 2 years of regular/almost daily use on more basic projects. But that's me.

So I think part of the answer might be who you think your client base is? Are you able to tolerate working on badly made projects? Even if you are using a computer guided edge to edge design, it's amazing how non-straight someone's project can be... Can you treat heirlooms with the proper care and respect? Are you able to follow directions and give the client exactly what they asked for -- even when you know something else is better, or are you able to tactfully make suggestions? If someone like me comes in and has a top but has no idea of what to do with it, are you able to think of those ideas, giving me a lower priced starter edge to edge idea or two, and then a higher priced option?

And the final thought is, how cheap are you willing to work? I say that I give freely (so most of my projects are donations, some are gifts none are commissioned), but I don't work for cheap. I like to take about two days to load and quilt a queen sized top. I can do it faster, some are just an easy day project, but I can also do it a lot slower depending on what the design is. I tend to like fluffier batts and less quilting than is currently popular (that's another thing to think about). I think highly of myself and figure that with 40 years of quilting experience, surely I'm entitled to Seattle minimum wage of $15/hour -- call it $120-250 per top. In my area, I could probably keep pretty busy in that price range, but Seattle is expensive and the semi-custom work I want done that I'm not good enough to do myself is more around $350.

edit: and that's just labor doesn't include the thread or batting or anything else especially not binding. From what I understand what is expected to be included varies by the part of the country. The costs of thread or pattern designs or rulers or marking tools or other things in addition to electricity and such are very real and add up.

Other people are willing to work for less, especially with the goal of paying off the machine. But from the stories I've heard it is going to cross your mind that "I'm not getting paid enough for this" on a regular basis, depending on the quilt and the client.

Having said a lot of negatives about the business side, my personal belief is that if you have the money and the space, get yourself the best toys you can! I would so love a professional model Statler and it is in the top 10 things I'm going to buy if I ever win the lottery. I have a large backlog of tops, and can easily make 1-2 a month. Only thing that keeps me from that getting them quilted down.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 04-14-2020 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:16 PM

I wish I could give you some encouragement, but truthfully, longarming is an art unto itself, and even though I love quilting, and can do OK on a sit-down machine, I found that long arming is not my cup of tea. Thank goodness I didn't have to invest in one to find out. Do try to find someone who will let you test your patience...and learn the skills needed. Good luck!
Old 04-14-2020, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
You should wait until you can try out some long arm machines. You need to take a class on how to load the machine to get a quilt ready to quilt. It is a lot more labor intensive then you would think. Take a look at Lorena’s Quilting on YouTube as she has several tutorials on loading a quilt and the pros and cons of long-arm machine quilting for others.

I did watch some of Lorena's videos and it's was an eye opener. I think the whole reason I want to LA quilt is because I cannot FMQ and I'm tired of straight lines. Thank you.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:49 PM

I'm def rethinking this idea. Seems at this stage of the game it's not something I should be doing at this time. Thanks!
Old 04-14-2020, 03:52 PM

Default Thanks quilters for all advice! Not going to entertain the idea anymore.

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post

I did watch some of Lorena's videos and it's was an eye opener. I think the whole reason I want to LA quilt is because I cannot FMQ and I'm tired of straight lines. Thank you.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:24 PM

First off, how much are you willing to spend? I'm assuming you want a frame, on that note, moving the machine instead of the quilt is a whole totally different game. FMQ takes a of practice. I've been practicing for about 15 years and a couple years ago, I started being able to do a decent meader and loop de loops, that's about the range of my game, but I'm okay with it. I seriously doubt if I have any talent to do more than that. Some people have a talent and some people don't. I bought a 20" Bailey sit down machine a couple years ago and I love it, best of all, it's not as expensive as the lest expensive of the longarms. Technically speaking, it's not a long arm, but 20" is sure a lot more throat space than 9".

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-14-2020 at 06:04 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps