Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
I'm a new member....Where should I go first? >

I'm a new member....Where should I go first?

I'm a new member....Where should I go first?

Old 10-09-2008, 05:49 AM
Banned

Hi! My name is Emily. I'm a novice quilter, and I decided to join a quilting board, cause I need to learn a lot more before I can attempt quilts..... I did make a tied bed quilt with no design whatsoever. I plunged in, and well, it isn't pretty. Next time I make a quilt, it's going to be a lot better!
So, anyway, Got any tips on what is the simplest block to make, that doesn't take much time, you can see results quickly, and is fun to do?
I can't really sew well, so I do need something simple...
Rail fence? How difficult is that?
Thanks
Emily :)
Old 10-09-2008, 05:54 AM

Hi and welcome from Mass. A Rail Fence is good but so is a 9 patch or 4 patch.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:25 AM
Banned

Hello And Welcome from Wa State. I started this yr (May) and started with a 9 patch..... Have fun... Don't forget to show us how your doing.... You'll get alot of help here
Old 10-09-2008, 06:41 AM

Welcome Emily. It's great to have you here. I just started sewing this past June. My first quilt was a log cabin. I made it using Eleanor Burns book. It was fast, fun, and easy. I've done two rail fence tops. I say the log cabin was easier myself. Do one that looks appealing to you. One that your willing to take the time with because you like the block. That will make it fun.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:18 AM

Welcome Emily! If you really want something FAST, try a raggedy quilt. Can we see a picture of your quilt you made?
Old 10-09-2008, 07:53 AM

Welcome Emily from Southern California. A 4 patch or even a "Yellow Brick Road" or Turning Twenty quilt pattern wuld be easy to do. This is a great place to get great tips and ideas!
Old 10-09-2008, 08:36 AM

Hi Emily and welcome form North Carolina, A 9 patch will be the best one to start with. Show us the one you made.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:20 AM

Welcome! Check out the tutorial section http://www.quiltingboard.com/forums/show/10.page

Lots of fun stuff there. You may want to start with ShellyQ's starter classes.

Most evenings, someone can be found in the chat room in case you get stuck or have questions.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:55 AM

Welcome to the Board Emily, from So. California! First quilt? Hmmmm, I think the Rail Fence is the easiest - not many points to match! Like Moonpi said, check out the Tutorial section, lots of good stuff in there. :) I started out in an Adult Ed quilting class...that was over 15 years ago & I'm still taking the same class! LOL We started doing everything by hand, then eventually we moved on to machine. Now, since many of us in the class have been together so long, we work on our own projects, and occasionally (like now) a bunch of us will all work on the same pattern. The new students still start off by hand tho'. Check your local Adult Ed & see if they have a class. They are usually the least expensive way to learn (my class is free!!). :D
Old 10-09-2008, 11:33 AM

Hi Emily, welcome....I too took a class at the High School because it was reasonable. It was hand piecing and hand quilting. We did the Ohio Star and at first I thought I will not get this, but.....it comes together. I think the four patch would be pretty simple. Have fun and share what you are doing.