Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Introduction and a question >

Introduction and a question

Introduction and a question

Old 06-12-2020, 08:42 AM

Default Introduction and a question

Hello all,

After finally being able to register (the CAPTCHA thing is very hard to read, especially for someone with poor eyesight), I am introducing myself here. My user name is Rob The HOAQ, which stands for Rob The Husband of a Quilter. I grew up with a mother who quilted and for the past 24 years I have been married to one. I don't know a feed dog from a basset hound, but I do know who Eleanor Burns is and who Nancy Zieman was (in a brief conversation at the AQS Show in Paducah, Nancy told me I was an M&M. I paid the money for my wife's purchases and I was the muscle who lugged it around). I only winced a little when my wife bought her Accuquilt GO, and I have even surprised her from time to time with some dies and other accessories. Heck, I even recently bought her a Janome MC6650 to replace her MC6500 which was having computer issues after 17 years of hard use. I even don't complain when we go to Paducah (which we've done for the past 15 years, although the pandemic will keep us away this year since I am high risk for the virus) when we come home with two or three bags of fabric from Hancock's, given that I own over 1,600 books and books are a heck of a lot harder to move than fabric is. I would even love to surprise her with a longarm quilter, but we don't have an extra $75,000 lying around ($25,000 for the machine and $50,000 to build a room to store it in). If you had told me in my younger salad days, which have long since wilted, that I would enjoy going to quilt shows and watching her turn fabric into something beautiful I would have laughed. Yet, even though I couldn't sew a seam to save my life, I have tried to become a participant in her hobby. I recently purchased EQ8 in an attempt to learn how to design something that she could make. I might not ever make a prize-winning design, but it's a fun way to kill time staying at home.

Speaking of prize-winning, that is the question part of my post. After every trip to Paducah, I always tell my wife that there is no reason she couldn't enter one of her quilts there. She has long had self-esteem issues and usually dismisses what I say with a wave of her hand. I understand that not everyone is as competitive as I am, and she has on more than one occasion said that she quilts for fun, which is perfectly fine with me. However, I think another reason, besides an inability to recognize that she has some talent, is that she quilts along more traditional lines rather than making art or modern quilts. I have attached the first design attempt I made that she is going to make. Forgetting for a moment as to whether it's any good or not, do the quilters here think something like this compared to what we normally see at the show could get in the door given that, in my view, it's pretty plain? To be honest, after she gets it done I don't care what happens to it, meaning it can go on the bed, the wall, or the couch, and it will be fine. But I would like to see her challenge herself more. To be honest, I'm not sure it would even pass muster at the local guild show. It seems to me that the type of quilts my mother made are no longer in fashion. Not that that's bad, but my aunt (Mom's sister) once said when she saw some of my pictures she could never imagine any of those quilts on someone's bed.

I don't know how often I will post here, but I imagine most of the time it will be in an attempt to help my wife with something she is having a problem with. I would like to get her here on the forum, but she has a hard time asking for help, even though from my reading on this site, everyone here is friendly and positive. I would like to see her expand her horizons and take a chance. I realize that entering Paducah would be like thinking one could go from the sandlot to the major leagues in a month or two after first picking up a bat, but I honestly believe if a person doesn't constantly challenge themselves they will fall into a rut that diminishes whatever it is they like to do. She may never want to do something like that, and if not that will be just fine. We will continue to have fun going to the show, but I think she's better than just being an observer.

Thanks everyone.
Attached Thumbnails blue-yellow-2.jpg  
Old 06-12-2020, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Kudos for supporter your wife’s efforts!
Old 06-12-2020, 11:42 AM

Hello Rob and welcome to the QB from SE Michigan! It is great to have a husband so involved with her quilting! What a blessing! I too am blessed with a DH that supports my quilting efforts and encourages me to push a bit further all the time. I have only made one quilt that I felt was show quality and only to our County Fair at that.
You of all people know your wife's skill level and there are placements for all levels of quilter. You don't have to be an Artsy quilter to have a well made quilt that has the best presentation. We have all seen some divine quilts and many of them are beautiful because of the workmanship and the traditional design. Continue to encourage her. The design you shared could be just what she needs to do. Again welcome to the QB!
Old 06-12-2020, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

Welcome - I llke your user name!

You definitely sound like a keeper!

Old 06-12-2020, 12:18 PM

Well hello and welcome. Glad you made it through the maze of joining the boards. Yes, it's a fun and helpful group of quilters.

I love your story of your support for your wife's talent and her hobby. However, from another point of view and said in quiet whispers, this is her hobby and no reason for her to take on a challenge unless she decides to do it. It would be like me telling DH to catch more fish ...and bigger ones.LOL! Each quilter travels the journey in their own way.

I don't enter quilt shows at all with my quilt or projects. If I am happy with the finished quilt, that is good enough.

Again welcome to the boards.

PS: Great quilt design with EQ!
Old 06-12-2020, 01:33 PM

Welcome from Southern California. My husband enjoyed voting at quilt shows more than I did. Good for you for being so involved.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

Welcome and happy quilting
Old 06-12-2020, 05:21 PM

Welcome from Tennessee. Check out the challenge requirements for Paducah. There are many different groups your wife may want to enter into. I have seen some awesome quilts hung at the show. And then I have seen some that even I could do. As I was once told, you don’t enter expecting to win. You should just be glad to be accepted and happy to show and be proud of your accomplishments.
Old 06-12-2020, 08:44 PM

I just want you all to know that I truly appreciate the kind words of welcome from everyone.

Rhonda K (I have a cousin with that name, although it's spelled Ronda Kay), you are absolutely 100 percent correct. It is her hobby. We were talking this evening and she's just not mentally prepared to put herself through what she would have to do to get that "perfect" quilt. She's honestly still trying to figure out her new machine, so I probably need to back off somewhat.

By the way, I just found out this evening that the Paducah 2020 show has been cancelled, as has all the other AQS shows remaining this year. That's so sad.
Old 06-13-2020, 03:00 AM

Hey Rob, welcome from another Rob. Good on you for being so supportive of your wife’s quilting.

We’re a friendly bunch here, so if your wife decides to jump in, she’ll find a warm welcome and lots of supportive folks to interact with.

Rob