Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Just getting my quilting feet wet >

Just getting my quilting feet wet

Just getting my quilting feet wet

Old 08-15-2007, 09:04 AM

Hello everyone. I am a 40 year old mother of five ages 5 months, 2 years, 3.5 years, 5.5 years - all boys, a 9 year old girl, and two cats. Oh . . . and a husband. Anyway I am also the youngest of 9 children. I have always had an interest to quilt but with children and working as a teacher I just never seemed to take the time to learn this great treasure from my mother. However, within the past six months my Mother has begun to teach me the art and love of quilting. Unfortunately, just this past month she was diaganosed with two incurable brain tumors and only has about three months with us. She is living with me and I take every moment I can to learn all that I can. I am a very quick learner and I already knew how to do basic sewing thanks to my Mother. Due to her condition we are just doing some basic work. We probably have about 5 quilt tops in the making beacause she changes her mind about what she wants to start with me. And thats ok becuase I am enjoying every minute of this precious time with her. It is so nice to have this private time with her to listen to stories of her childhood as well as her interest and love for me and my children. Her current interest is in the bow tie quilt. We are cutting the pieces and having fun with color patterning. We also have two simple square patterns we are working on as well as grandmothers flower garden and the one that looks like 3d blocks. I taught myself the art of rotary cutting and just love it. I wanted to share that secret with my Mother but it is already too late. She continues to do some very minor scissor cutting. I am hoping there will be some kind people out there willing to teach me some of their secrets as I know I can't learn everything in so little time with my Mother. I live in the Chicago area and would love some hands on learning as I get stuck if anyone is able to share. Looking forward to hearing from you. God's blessings to you all. lovemycats
Old 08-15-2007, 09:23 AM

I am very sorry to hear that you have so little time left with your mother. I am sure you will treasure every minute with her, and when you look back on the quilts you have made together, they will bring you many happy memories.

I am fairly new to all this myself, but this is a wonderful place, full of encouragement, ideas and friendly people. I am very happy you found us here, and hope you visit often. There is something new everytime I visit and I learn something every single day that amazes me. This site is like a comfortable pair of slippers. It may be a nice break from the stresses you have in your life, and just maybe, you can teach your mother something that you learn here.

Be strong, and let the wonderful people here help in any way we can.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:58 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your mother. One of my good friends died from a brain tumor a couple years back and I miss her all the time.

I can think of no better way to spend time with your mom though than through the tradition of quilting. It's something you in turn can pass on to your children. What I find is this group is very giving (even to us guys) and I'm sure they will help you tackle any of the things you might need help with. I wish it could be under better circumstances, but anyway welcome to the group. Big hugs to your mom for me.

Do you have any pictures of her quilts you could post for us?
Old 08-15-2007, 09:59 AM

Welcome lovemycats! It is a wonderful thing to be able to share this passing of knowledge and love between you two. Enjoy the time and the creation of new memories. Peace be with you both.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:32 PM

Welcome Lovesmycats,
Thank you for sharing your very personal joy and tragedy. You must get a tape recorder and record all that you can of your mom's stories for your children. That's the one thing my boys have said they wish I'd done with my Granny, but we didn't know. You have time and opportunity with your mom and God Bless you for being happy to care and share with her. To many don't nowadays.

You will never lack someone to help you from now on, you just joined the easiest and the "bestest" group. We love to share, ideas, opinions, joys, sorrows, pictures, and even "how-to " emails. Couple of us have web cams so you never know where we'll go with it if anyone desires to work via camera. :lol:

Hugs to you and your mom, Loves,
Sharon
Old 08-15-2007, 04:40 PM

welcome lovemycats, it's nice to know your enjoying this special time with your mom. theres alot i'm sure that one day you'll teach your daughter to.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:23 PM

We are here for you now & especially in the future for anything you need. God be with you & your family.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:07 AM

My heart goes out to you, I lost my Mother to a Brain Tumor. Many yrs ago, My Mother wasn't a quilter, but she shared many stories during her good and bad days. I being self taught, often reflect on stories and special things about my Mother while I quilt. And I take pride in knowing how pleased I know she would be with me and the quilts I've made. She did teach me about sewing, which lead me to the journey of quilting. Every moment is precious right now for you and her, What a wonderful gift she is leaveing you with, and your desire to carry on from your Mother. A true tradition. You will find many precious people on this site, that will help you and aid you to carry on. Someone will always respond. And even during the times you need comfort, you will find open hearts and endless prayers.