Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Leather Scraps in quilting.

So my DH and I meet at TRF and when we have gone back we purchase scraps of leather. Since I just this month picked up quilting he suggested making a quilt with the scraps. Has anyone used leather in quilting?

I have a throw that is appliqued with animals using soft skins

I acquired a few leather ties back in the summer and didn't know what to do with them. Hope you get a few suggestions. If not, you might want to put this question in the Main section.

Not to sure about trying applique. Unless I hand stiched it down then maybe. However thanks for the suggestion.

Blog Entries
    Welcome from Idaho!
    I think it would depend on the thickness of your leather...

thin. and Thanks

Welcome from Michigan.

welcome!

Blog Entries
    Welcome from Virginia

Welcome from Ireland

Washing a quilt made of leather would be problematic.

Welcome to the board from Southern California!!!

Blog Entries
    Hello, and welcome from Michigan!

Blog Entries
    i made a quilt with leather's, velvets, corduroys....lots of different textures/fabrics...the only down side to the quilt is laundering...if there is quite a bit of leather you have to pay big bucks to have it professionally leather cleaned...some dry-cleaners will not even accept it...it has to be sent somewhere. when i made mine i was careful that everything that was washable was washed ahead of time and was very careful putting it together. i have done some (spot-cleaning) on it a couple times...have thought about just taking a chance...but have not taken that step...so the quilt is...about 7-8 years old and so far has not been washed.....it's beautiful but not functional...mine is about 9" squares, some embellished, embroidered, stamped, .... mixed fab's all put together with dark velvet sashing strips; about 1/4 of the quilt top is leather squares. if you made the whole top with leather it would probably be easier to figure out a care-plan.

I've seen it done in clothing - vests and such - mixing leather with quilted panels or tapestry, but not in a quilt. Would be a beautiful effect though. If you've not worked with leather before, there are special leather machine needles you can get, that punch through it more easily than most. Ditto for hand needles, get the triangular leather needles, your hands will thank you! Can't wait to see the ideas come out!

As to the washing, the main reasons for not washing leather are that 1) it dries it out and 2) it may leave watermarks.
    Some of the newer leathers are actually washable.
    If you're using scraps, I'd be tempted to stitch a scrap to a plain contrasting fabric, mark the size, run it through the washer to see what it does (shrink, bleed, dry out, leave watermarks on the leather, etc). I would not expect shrinkage or distortion but it may bleed...or not. Drying could be countered by using a very mild soap instead of detergent. Watermarks? You may actually like the effect. I'd give it a shot.

as in neckties? try making a hobo bag out of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
    I acquired a few leather ties back in the summer and didn't know what to do with them. Hope you get a few suggestions. If not, you might want to put this question in the Main section.

Have used leather & naugahyde. Decided that it was less frustrating combining it with traditional materials around the edges

how about purses?

Welcome from Central PA. Be sure to show us your projects. Can't wait to see them.

Thanks so much. Yes I have leather needles, Yes it would be all leather. Would use it maybe once a year when we going camping at TRF. I was thinking of doing a log cabin out of the scraps however I am open to any suggestions.

I have made two little belt purses out of some of the scraps. But now that I have almost finished my first quilt top I am so in love with quilting and thought the leather might be fun. Also it is the only material I have to work with for the moment. We are moving (ehggg) so funds are tight till after the move. I even asked my husband to wait on giving each other christmas till after the move. 1. I didn't know what I really wanted till now (he is going to make me a quilt frame) 2. be 1 less thing to worry about moving.

I have not but I did get an idea from a book last night. The person had made throw pillows for her couch out of red and black checked wool it looked like, She had a triangle flap that came from the top seam and fell over the pillow. She had fringed the edges. You could add a concho also. It was so neat. Just an idea but both of us loved it and my husband Never comments! Marvel

welcome from se TX

Welcome from Ohio.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast