Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Introduce Yourself
  • Looking for new hobby >
  • Looking for new hobby

• Looking for new hobby

Old 02-17-2012, 06:35 AM

Default Looking for new hobby

Hi. I am wanting to broaden my horizons so I thought I would try quilting. I love colors and they way they can be paired in different designs to make something simple or complex and beautiful. I love the smell of new fabric and they way it feels. I am very green so I will be reading and looking around to see what is possible and then try my hand too. LOL I said I am green, I have a pair of scissors, some straight pins, needles and a thimble. I inherited a couple of thimbles from my late MIL recently and that made me realize that I would like to try quilting. So, I plan to make a run on a store and get some supplies, fabric and I will need a machine. I hope someone can maybe point me to a list of basic supplies I would need and what to look for in a machine.

I am looking forward to finding a new love, and learning. Thank you all for any and alll help.

MistyK
    Old 02-17-2012, 06:39 AM

welcome from se TX
    Old 02-17-2012, 06:49 AM
    Power Poster

Hello and welcome from SW Iowa. Glad to have you here. When my sis and I started quilting we went out and got a cutting board, rotary cutter, a ruler for cutting, fabric and an easy pattern. Thread of course and my DD found a bottom of the line Brother machine at Walmart for me. Have fun and remember quilting is addictive. LOL
    Old 02-17-2012, 06:50 AM
    Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Start with a simple design like a 9 patch just to get the basics of cutting accurate squares, sewing a good 1/4 inch seam and matching the seam intersections. You can start by cutting your pieces out with scissors and hand sewing your blocks but it will be more accurate if you pick up a few basic supplies. I would suggest a rotary cutter, mat and ruler for easier cutting. Can you borrow a basic machine from someone to see if you will like quilting? If not you will have to decide if you want to invest in a lower priced machine for now ($200) or invest in a higher priced machine that will last longer (Janome, Brother, Baby Lock). I love my Bernina 440 QE but I don't think a $3000 investment is what you are thinking of right now? You will find lots of good advice on QB for every stage of your new hobby. Good luck and happy quilting!
    Old 02-17-2012, 06:54 AM

Welcome from Keller, TX. This is a wonderful, fun hobby. Hope you join us and share your work.
    Old 02-17-2012, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
    Hello and welcome from SW Iowa. Glad to have you here. When my sis and I started quilting we went out and got a cutting board, rotary cutter, a ruler for cutting, fabric and an easy pattern. Thread of course and my DD found a bottom of the line Brother machine at Walmart for me. Have fun and remember quilting is addictive. LOL
    LOL addiction? Will it be fatal?
    Old 02-17-2012, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Start with a simple design like a 9 patch just to get the basics of cutting accurate squares, sewing a good 1/4 inch seam and matching the seam intersections. You can start by cutting your pieces out with scissors and hand sewing your blocks but it will be more accurate if you pick up a few basic supplies. I would suggest a rotary cutter, mat and ruler for easier cutting. Can you borrow a basic machine from someone to see if you will like quilting? If not you will have to decide if you want to invest in a lower priced machine for now ($200) or invest in a higher priced machine that will last longer (Janome, Brother, Baby Lock). I love my Bernina 440 QE but I don't think a $3000 investment is what you are thinking of right now? You will find lots of good advice on QB for every stage of your new hobby. Good luck and happy quilting!
    Great idea about borrowing a machine. So far I suck at quilting since I haven't actually cut any fabric or put them together. But THAT is going to change. Maybe I should go just LOOK at machines and ask questions and see what they look like. Thanks
    Old 02-17-2012, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
    Thanks for the suggestions. I am making a list. Definitely need to find out what a cutting board is as I don't think you are talking about the one I chop veggies on. <rolling my eyes> I sound like I am dangerous to be let out on my own. Well I wanted an adventure!
    Old 02-17-2012, 08:15 AM

Hello, welcome from Oklahoma.
    Old 02-17-2012, 09:27 AM
    Power Poster

Welcome from Minnesota and happy quilting