Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Which machines should I consider? >

Which machines should I consider?

Which machines should I consider?

Old 11-14-2011, 06:04 AM

Hello and welcome from Ontario, Canada.
I agree with the suggestion that you make a list of things that you would like your machine to do and then go to a dealer and 'test drive' some machines. I wish my machine had a threader and/or cutter.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:09 AM

Hi and welcome to the quilting board. What a great place to get information on almost anything related to quilting and sewing. I love it here.
SevenupinNC...You husband is a keeper if her is getting you a new machine. My husband is good that way too.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:45 AM

Brother is the best i think
Old 11-14-2011, 08:52 AM

When I started - I went to Walmart and purchased one of their Singer machines - I think it was around $ 100 - I think they are cheaper now. Anyway, I didn't know if I would like quilting or not - it was a great simple machine to learn - I still have it and its a great backup machine - the investment is small but it will allow you to play around without a huge outlay of money. If you love quilting - then your fabric stash will out weigh your machine. In a year or so, you will know more about what machine you will want and use - so that is my advice. Welcome to the club...
Old 11-15-2011, 07:09 PM

Welcome from West Virginia. I've always had Brother machines. They are dependable and you can buy them at Walmart for around $100.00. Good Luck!
Old 11-15-2011, 07:47 PM

Welcome from SC. I quilt on a Prodigy and just love it.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:47 PM

Default Another new quilter's thoughts ...

Hi, I am really new to quilting too but I can share my experience with you. I had an Elna that was a very basic machine. I took one quilting class and learned to do machine applique. My machine didn't have the stitch I wanted so I got a Baby Lock Quilter's Choice. I love it and so far it does everything I want. It has the stitches I wanted and a knee-lift lever, which comes in real handy for applique. You might find later on that you like doing one particular thing or another and want a machine with more features - or you may find that you like basic piecing and don't need all of the other features. I guess what I am saying is that I don't think we know as beginners what we will end up doing the most of later on as we learn more and our skills improve. I would say that unless you know what direction you want to go, start out with a basic machine and allow yourself to change or upgrade to another one later. I hope this helps.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:58 PM

Hi, Welcome. I teach both sewing and quilting in my home. I was recently talking with my sewing machine mechanic about the current new machines. Since he has to repair them, I figured he would be able to recommend some for my students. His recommendation was to stay away from any new Singers. They have been bought out and the newer machines are plastic junk. An older one is a good find. He says the best current new ones are Brother and Baby Lock. Brothers are better priced than Baby Lock, and just as good. He said any Brother is a good buy, so I got a Brother 6000i for around $150 and love it. It has 60 built-in stitches and sews beautifully. I also have a top of the line Pfaff, and other machines, but I find I am using my new Brother more and more. I hope this helps in your decision.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:39 AM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!