Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: New to the Board and a question for you all!

Question New to the Board and a question for you all!

Hi everyone. My name is Kelly and I am new to the Quilting Board. I been quilting on and off for over 25 years. Question...someone gave me two huge bags (someone else's stash) of quilting fabric. Most of it is already cut into pieces that are still paired with their homemade paper patterns. There are at least two sets, maybe more. They are not obvious patterns so how would I figure out the pattern just from the cut pieces? I would love to piece these quilt tops together but I am not sure where to start.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions on where I go from here.
    Last edited by KellyTee; 06-24-2019 at 05:37 AM.

Blog Entries
    Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
    You might post pictures of the various pieces and someone here might recognize them
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Good idea. I'll do that. Thanks.

Hello from Texas & welcome to the board. Sounds like you have a real challenge on your hands but I bet with whatever you come up with & the help from this board, you may be able to get the patterns figured out. My brain just doesn't do well with things started by someone else (I'm in that situation right now with some blocks) but looking forward to what you come up with.

Power Poster
    Welcome from Ontario, Canada. If you post pictures on the pieces the QB super sleuths may recognize the pattern. If not, don’t feel you have to do the same patterns if you have another idea for them.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the board!I am excited waiting for pic of your pattern pieces I love quilting mysteries. There is bound to be someone here who can unravel and even help you to assembly the pieces with ease.

Oh I'd love to see some pics and maybe be able to help you out. I personally love fabric and often get/am given bags of such things. I know people who's favorite sort of thing to do is exactly this sort of thing with vintage sets of stuff, I don't do hand work in general or hand quilting in particular but I admire those that do. I was young when I started quilting but that was before the rotary revolution and my brain is sort of hard-wired in old fashioned mode.

Welcome to the forum!

It took me months to get used to my current computer, my old camera, and the boards here. With the editing program that comes with my software I would think it has to be able to do what I want which is reduce the file size, but I can't find it. What I do to post pictures here is after I take it off my camera, I reduce the size at this free site (no connection with it, but I can say is I've had zero issues with it).
    https://www.reduceimages.com/

Blog Entries
    a warm welcome from western KY
    dare to dream

Power Poster
    Welcome from Michigan!

Hi and welcome from North Carolina! Receiving fabric is never a problem... but it can be a challenge! I'm sure you'll get tons of help there! You've found hundreds of friends on this board!

Blog Entries
    Hi KellyTee, welcome from NE Ohio.

Welcome from North Carolina. Lots of great info is shared on this Board.

I'm back! :)

Hi all. You probably up on me but here are the promised pictures of the quilt pieces I was given. There are a lot! There are more diamond-shaped pieces than the others. The second-most is the kite shaped pieces followed by the triangles. As you can see, there are three different fabrics. The patterns were stapled to the fabric and the pieces were cut very uniformly so they appear to not have been cut by hand. The first pic is just a few pieces so you can see the shape. The second photo is all of them.

Any one know the pattern or if they may have been part of a kit? How old they may be? Anything? Should i just start sewing and see what happens?
    Thanks for any input.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What a mystery and thanks for coming back to us.

I think it is an 8-ray star, probably one fabric for the star. The triangle pieces would fill in the sides and those kite shaped ones would make the corners a square instead of octagons. So you'd have a blue star with red alternates and a red star with blue corners, but you certainly have a lot of that ribbon fabric without it's other half.

Personally, I'm not seeing the vision with just those 3 fabrics. If I used them, I'd probably do two different projects. Those red and blues could alternate and be made into sweet sashing for maybe 30s fabric if you didn't want to do stars.

And then I'd concentrate on the ribbon fabric for it's own top. Or I might just re-donate them for someone else to play with!
    Quilters: Advanced tool using humans.

Thanks.

Thanks for your input, Iceblossom.
    I will play with it and see what happens.