Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: New member

Smile New member

Hello from California, I'm so glad I found the Quilting Board. I began making quilts 6 years ago, right after having a triple bypass, and I wanted to do something for the special people in my life. First, my grand children, nieces and nephews.
    haven't done to bad for a beginner. I'm currently in the process of making a baby quilt for my niece. She has made a request for a grey and white quilt. Harder than I thought. I have. Grey plaid, grey and white stripes, white and a dark grey with white polka dots.
    any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    thank you

Power Poster
    Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Chevrons make a nice modern modern looking quilt in grey and white. There are patterns on the net where you can cut rectangles to make chevron patterns.

Welcome from Texas! Sound like you are on you way to great things with your new hobby. You will find fun & info here.

Blog Entries
    Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Welcome from SC Texas. Happy you found us.

Hi and welcome from Mississippi!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

A big hello and welcome from NC. You've already been bitten by the "Quilt Bug", so that makes you one of us! Have fun!
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...56-albums.html

take time to build memories with the kids

Power Poster
    Welcome!

There sure are a lot of grays out there - and in my opinion - not all of them play nicely together.

Blog Entries
    just make your whites show up sharp! should be a nice quilt, even though no other colors. Times change. I'd ask if I could add a touch of yellow, but she may not want that. Show us later!
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

I would use the dark grey with polka dots and the white to make pinwheels. Then when you have 8 blocks, alternate them with 7 white blocks in a setting that is 3 X 5. Pinwheels with polka dots are always cheerful for baby quilts. Then maybe use one of the other greys for a border.
    "He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

Thank you all for the welcome!
    I will attemp to post a picture to show you my plan.
    I agree about gray and white not playing nice together. Also attempting my first appliquι of the State of Texas on a 9 patch. Only on 1 of the blocks. Yep, it's for a Texas baby!

Hi and welcome from North Carolina!

Welcome from So. Cal.

Blog Entries
    Hi Paulak53 and welcome to the board from NE Ohio.

Welcome from Michigan!

Blog Entries
    Welcome aboard! When I think back to my earliest quilting days I was on fire! I would cut up any fabric I could find and used old magazines to cut on because I didn't have a cutting mat. I would have never let my good scissors cut on paper and I was letting my first rotary cutter cut against paper because I could not afford a cutting mat. I found out quickly having proper tools cutting mat, rotary cutter and good acrylic rulers and a decent (can be very cheap) iron. After that the joy became greater. I then learned to use 100% cotton fabrics because they wear differently than blends. Then I fell in love with patchwork. That is the short history of some of the most valuable early quiltable information I can give you. Have lots of fun. Dream about quilting and wake up have a cup of joe and share here before starting your quilty day. Of course if you have other pressing things like making a living then you can let the sewing go for a bit. Just remember housework doesn't count as a necessity.

Welcome to the forum and grats on the upcoming new family member. I'm expecting my first (and probably only) grandchild in September, but I do a lot of crib sized donation projects.

I recently did a project that used a bag of scrap fabrics, including some of the "new" greys. I thought they were fun to work with and more soothing than black and white. With the fabrics I had, which sound sort of like what you have, I think any geometric design would be my first choice. I can imagine a grey and white log cabin that would come out lovely -- of course there is always that big step between what I think something would look like and how it actually looks!

Polka dots are very versatile, and while I would first go geometric design, lots of things you can do with a grey and white polka dot, like an appliqued Elephant or Teddy Bear or other pictorial block.

Hi Tartan I am also a new member from Midland Ontario I have been quilting for 2 years and love it, and also just bougjt a embrodery quilting machine. I'm loving my retirement. What part of Ontario ate you in?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulak53 View Post
    Hello from California, I'm so glad I found the Quilting Board. I began making quilts 6 years ago, right after having a triple bypass, and I wanted to do something for the special people in my life. First, my grand children, nieces and nephews.
    haven't done to bad for a beginner. I'm currently in the process of making a baby quilt for my niece. She has made a request for a grey and white quilt. Harder than I thought. I have. Grey plaid, grey and white stripes, white and a dark grey with white polka dots.
    any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    thank you
    How Northern? I quilt in Oakland. I guess the Bay Area is not really north!
    Dotty in NYC

Blog Entries
    Nancy in western NY
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pdowns View Post
    Hi Tartan I am also a new member from Midland Ontario I have been quilting for 2 years and love it, and also just bougjt a embrodery quilting machine. I'm loving my retirement. What part of Ontario ate you in?
    Nancy in western NY