Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: New - in Upstate NY

I just joined and thought I would say hello. I have been quilting for about 20 years but have been more attentive to it at some times than others. I started when my second child was an infant so have been raising 4 children during the last 20 years as well (that explains the less attentive times :) )

We now have three in college and a HS junior so there is a little more time. I have a very busy career as a NP executive and I travel quite a lot so that slows down my progress too.

I am just finishing a Storm at Sea paper-pieced quilt for my oldest son. It's beautiful but it has taken me a year. I will be glad to move on to some other projects - I am bored with it and want new colors to work with.

I am looking forward to dropping in to see what others are doing and just keeping my excitement about quilting alive.

Cindy

Welcome to the board from Southern California!

Hi, welcome from NW Pa. Your quilt sounds lovely, hope u post a pic when it is done.

hello and welcome from SW Iowa.

Welcome Cindy, from Oklahoma. I can't wait to see your work. When I get bored with one, I start another. This is how I have so many UFO's. (not as many as before) I did manage to get a few done. Just finishing a top that got started in Aug of 08.

You will like it here. Be sure to drop into the chat room sometime.

Hi and welcome from the sunny state of Florida! Glad to have you on the board and there's always someone to give you the pick me up needed.

Welcome from Illinois!!!

Blog Entries
    Cindy, where in Upstate NY are you? I am about 130 miles North of NYC.

Welcome from Florida and we're glad to have you!

Hi and welcome to the "friendliest qulting forum" on the web. BRRRR......you have lots of snow?

Gosh I either can't spell of can't type today....should have been "quilting" :oops:

Welcome! I think it's funny how any New Yorker north of Orange County refers to them as upstate! :lol: There is a whole lot of NY North of Poughkeepsie (and west!)

I am near the Vermont border but still considered part of the capital region. Where are you?

Quote Originally Posted by sewfunquilts
    Hi and welcome to the "friendliest qulting forum" on the web. BRRRR......you have lots of snow?
    We actually have no snow. The big storm went south of us and the upstate NY snows you hear about coming off Lake Ontario happen north of us. We haven't had more than 3" of snow at one time this entire winter. I can see my grass.

I would really like a big storm, but still waiting.

Cindy

Feline,

I'm near Binghamton, so center of the state almost to Pennsylvania. Definitely upstate.

Cindy

Hello, and welcome from Missouri!

Blog Entries
    Hi, Cindy,

I'm in Cooperstown - we're practically neighbors! Do you go to any of the quilt shops or shows in your area?

Lorli

other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    Welcome from Australia!

Hey Lorli,

I go to the shops in my area and in yours! My job takes me all over the region and I get to Cooperstown a few times a year. I really like the two shops in Oneonta and the one in Fly Creek. Have you ever been to the Fieldstone House? Amazing and overwhelming all at once!

Do you get into the Binghamton area very often?

Cindy

Blog Entries
    Hi, Cindy,

I've been to the Fieldstone House once - our quilt club has an annual dinner meeting there. I agree about overwhelming. I couldn't believe I came away with only one piece of fabric. I tried to go there another time when I had a day off from work, but they were closed when I got there, at a show or something.

I've been to the shops in Oneonta, and liked them a lot. I like the lady who owns the shop in Fly Creek (and her dogs) but tend not to like her choice of fabrics that much. My favorite shop for fabrics is Fabrications in Hudson. I used to work in Hudson and we still live in Greene County (I commute home on weekends) so I get there whenever I can. Karen in there is so nice and helpful and I love her taste in fabrics.

Our quilt club show is going on right now. I don't have any;thing in it because I haven't finished anything for a couple of years!

Do you go to Quilting by the Lake in Syracuse?

Lorli

I live just 15 miles south of Binghamton in Pa. I love Fieldstone House and have been to Fly Creek shop a few times. But we have soooo many shops right here in the Binghamton area I don't have to go far to find what I need. There is a fairly new shop right on the border in Kirkwood NY. called Beyond the Needle. the owner, Lisa is very friendly and she just opened up another shop in Scranton Pa. Who knows I may have met one of you gals at one time or another and didn't know it. LOL Marge

Hello, and welcome from Oklahoma.

Blog Entries
    [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/s...um/welcome.gif[/img]
    So Happy that you joined us :D:D:D

Banned
    lost in fabric & I'm not coming out until Secret Quilt Angel is over.
    Quote Originally Posted by lorli
    Hi, Cindy,

I'm in Cooperstown - we're practically neighbors! Do you go to any of the quilt shops or shows in your area?

Lorli
    How did I miss this thread???????????? Well it is over a month old but just wanted to say I helped build a house by Cooperstown, Springfield Center to be exact. That was the happiest time of my life. The house is located on RT 80 it is a BIG log cabin. It is still there when you leave Cooperstown and drive 80 it is on the right side just before the town of Springfield Center. At one time next to it and behind it were cow pastures now it is a camp ground. I still have friends that mean the world to me who live in Springfield Center, right across from the cabin. It was Ma Schech who taught me the love of sewing. I still have my 1st portable sewing machine that she taught me to sew on. Ma taught me the love of sewing and cooking/baking. I am who I am because of that wonderful woman. She was not my real mom however I loved and still love her as if she gave birth to me. It was a time when you could still take a bath in Otsego lake and gather wild blueberries on Rum Road. I loved the Fly Creek Cider Mill, is it still there? OMG I better stop this is making my cry, going down memory lane. But it was the happiest I had ever been in my entire life.

Hi and welcome from Oklahoma.