Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Newbe looking for advice! >

Newbe looking for advice!

Newbe looking for advice!

Old 06-03-2020, 09:41 AM

Question Newbe looking for advice!

Hi, I am new the quilting world (and I think I have my first addiction LOL!). I have recently comppleted my first quilt, a basic 6" square patchwork. But I love it, my kids are always fighting over it so I guess I didn't do so bad! My question is which cut of precuts is best for an undertermined quilt. I have found a fabric group that I am in love with but I have not decided on a pattern for that material. Some of the cuts have already sold out so I don't want to wait to long and 1 yd of each would be outrageous for me. There are 34 different patterns in the set. Would a couple layer cakes or a set of fat eighths be best considering I don't know what pattern I I will be using? Is there one that is more versitle than then other? Any advice is greatly appreciated!! Thank You.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:59 AM

Welcome to the boards and the quilting hobby. Some of us just take to this idea of putting pieces of fabric together!

You will find I rarely have a short answer to anything, and that's partly because there are many ways to do things or to approach design considerations or challenges. My short answer for you is "probably a couple of layer cakes and maybe some coordinating yardage".

And here's the tl;dr (too long; didn't read) version:

So the first thing to start thinking about is what is the size of project you want to do. Personally, my design mind is set on queen sized projects. You might be set on another size.

The next thing to consider is the type of project you want to do. The more seams it has, the more yardage it uses. A small triangle can have as much fabric behind it in the seams as you see. A lot of the more modern quilts are based on fairly large blocks/grids and aren't as "fabric intensive" as others. Do a google/search on 5-yard quilts for example.

Thirdly, is how you wish to sew. I spent a couple of decades being very precise in both my cutting and stitching. Now I rely on my 1/4" seam capabilities and do most of my work cutting/sewing large and trimming down for my precision. I used to sniff at the technique of making small HST by sewing down the middle of a square and trimming off the portion you don't use as being fabric wasteful. Now, well -- if it is so much being trimmed off that it bothers me I'll make a bonus unit from it and otherwise it is faster and more precise for me even with the extra trimming.

So with a queen sized project for rough planning purposes I start out with 10-12 yards for a queen sized project. Half of that is 6 yards. If I truly love a fabric this is the amount I buy but that is rare. I have another friend and she starts her buying at 6 yards to the rest of the bolt if she loves something. Mostly I buy cuts that are between .5-3 yards as being the "most usable size when I don't know what I'm doing yet".

I like the layer cake size, way back around Y2K I did a lot of fabric swapping, that was largely before precuts but we determined that 10" squares were a good size both for swapping and ease of use. In the last 20 years I've used a lot of 10" squares in many ways... (16) 10" squares is roughly 1 yard of fabric to put that in the equation.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:04 AM

welcome to the QB! I am honored to be the first one to welcome you here. If I am understanding your correctly you want to get the most bang for your buck and get as many different patterns as possible. In that case I would get the layer cake's.Missouri Star Quilt Company does a larger number of good tutorials that are done using layer cakes. Her tutorials are easy to follow and make some very beautiful quilt patterns. The 10 square is a versatile cut and cuts down nicely to make nice 5" square if nothing else and the layer cake will give you pieces from the entire line. I am a yardage person myself when ever possible. I have been looking closer at layer cakes here recently and finding they are the way to go for many projects. Again welcome to the QB
Old 06-03-2020, 10:32 AM

Smile Thank You!

Thank you!! I have already found so many patterns that I can't wait to try but I am not sure what pattern for this material. There are 34 patterns in this set (Bloomington @ Fat Quarter Shop) and a yard each of that would be enough to make the Hubby check my temp, for more than Corona! I have used layer cakes for placemats and table runners but have never used fat eighths. When I consider making a quilt I generally shoot for a queen size. I am determined to complete a drunkard's path and an applecore pattern but I am not sure they are the right pattern for this material. And I may be putting to much thought into it. Thank You again for the welcome and the advice!!
Old 06-03-2020, 11:00 AM

Thank You! I am just starting on my quilting journey but I have found it to be by far one of the most relaxing adventures yet. I sometimes tend to jump in the deep end first then realize there was a much easier way if I had just looked, but hey some people just like the hard route. I say it teaches me to appreciate the end more and gives me a good chuckle when i realize the easy way was right there I just didn't look. I did decided to purchase the layer cakes and 2 of my favorites in yards from the 34 patterns for backing. Thank You Again for the advice. I hope to be posting pictures soon!
Old 06-03-2020, 12:54 PM

Thanks for your quote. I assumed he was a warrior or a general. Boy was I wrong. A philosopher. I also liked No man ever steps in the same river twice" or no one ever makes the same quilt twice. Oh That may be my words.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:35 PM

For certain you came to the right place for adivice, although I'm not offering any. I'm simply going to welcome you to the greatest forum on the net! Happy quilting....(and stash building!)
Old 06-03-2020, 05:31 PM
Power Poster

Welcome to the quiltingboard and happy quilting
Old 06-03-2020, 05:50 PM

Welcome to the Board. This is certainly an enabling group, so if you are hoping to find a "Fabric Anonymous" group then you may be disappointed. Too many of us have no control and love to enable others with the same addiction.
I noticed you said you have more patterns to make, but I can't help say, when I find a group of fabrics that blend well together and no idea what to do with them but I know a friend or family member would love them, I make the Rail Fence quilt. A good size throw only takes one yard each. It goes together so quick and I can buy those fabrics that call my name.
Again, Welcome!
Old 06-03-2020, 05:57 PM
Power Poster

Welcome.

The journey can be interesting - - -