Origins in NYC

Old 02-17-2016, 02:25 PM

Default Origins in NYC

I have an old commercial Singer in the basement too. My dad was first a pocket book maker and then an upholsterer so he would sew vinyl and leather cushions, slip covers and replace the foam rubber in cushions using that sewing machine.
When I was a kid he took me on jobs in the summer all over NYC & LI and we fixed the coil springs on old sofas & chairs in the customers' homes. He taught me how to hold magnetic tacks in my mouth and use the magnetic uholstery hammer & webbing stretcher & tie springs.
But later as I got out of high school he told me to get a college education because the newer furniture was no longer being made with "good" wood &, he said, people will no longer be fixing furniture in the futue so i better find some other way to make a living. He had a lot of foresight that way.
I got my degree in respiratory therapy and found a way to make my own living just as he said
Old 02-17-2016, 02:32 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. He sounds like a wise and wonderful father.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:04 PM

Default Thank yous

My father had only a third grade eductation, having been raised in an orphanage in NYC because his father was a no good bum. My father was very wise, caring and patient with us three kids. A WWII soldier in The Battle of The Bulge and many other campaigns, ne never chose to talk about those days.
I miss him and my mom tremendously, her with her recent passing this past September, him more than 10 years ago now... All those old timers are slowly leaving this world, the ones who lived through the Great Depression, are slowly leaving us all, and that is very sad indeed!

In the beginning when I used to work with my father fixing furniture in peoples homes, when the customer would come in and watch us work, I used to break out in a sweat and told my dad, I cant do this kind of work, the customer is looking at me. He just smiled and said, dont worry whatever you screw up I'll just come over and fix, they really dont know what youre doing anyway. And in time just by watching and learning you'll soon being able to work on your own. I didnt believe him but continued to work and sweat whenever a customer was watching.
Wouldnt you know within several months, I was working on one piece of furniture while he was on another. The point being, we only learn by watching and doing and he was right.

I miss both my parents very very much and the lessons they taught me.

A special thanks to Mickey2, who took the time to write a lengthy discussion about how to clean my old sewing machine... thanks Mickey2 and to all my friends here...
Stew

Last edited by sweets; 02-17-2016 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:37 PM

makitmama thank you too... and get well soon! Stew
Old 02-18-2016, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan!
Old 02-18-2016, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
Old 02-18-2016, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Southern California where it is actually raining. I HOPE you find the quilts posted here inspirational for you to create some lovely quilts. I STILL miss my Dad who taught me to fly a plane and he died in 1988.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:55 PM

You have an interesting background. Welcome to this site where you will learn more than you can imagine from the beautiful mountains of western NC.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:41 AM

welcome from se TX
Old 02-20-2016, 05:00 AM

Welcome from South Louisiana, where it looks like spring has come. I loved your story about your life. What great memories!!! I hope your quilting gives you more good memories.