Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Please tell me it gets easier than this....

Hi, Nana Kat. Thanks for the tips. I will go back to the rotary cutting after I've accomplished something...just didn't want to get bogged down with frustration at the first. It was the slipping material and ruler that got me though so your tips will help. Also, I think cutting sideways on my ironing board didn't help the matter :? I love your picture. Since I am working on a little girl's quilt your quilt caught my attention. Did you make it?

MemaThomas, I can't wait to share that experience :!:

Hi Gaigai. I've noticed community benefactor on several people's info block what does that mean? Do you donate a lot of quilts? I love to read as well and have been dabbling in geneaology...how do you Ever get past all of the pay sites when you're trying to look up free public records :?: I recently found out something about my dad that I'm trying to follow up on but the sites always lead to adds for "helpful" sites. Rrrrrrr...you might recognize those letters as a low growl since you have so many fur babies. I too love animals.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome.

Exactly! I need to do more sewing but I keep getting on this site and reading....just one more page and then I find another topic. I've been on very few sites like this but I sure do love it!

What are you working on?

Thanks, Gram! I kept thinking, "Why do I want to do this?" but then I remind myself this is it-THIS is quilting. It's not the destination but the journey so I am choosing to enjoy it. I'm also going to journal so my little Livi Lu, will know just how much love and effort went into her quilt. I plan on making one for my two nephews as well so I WILL like it :mrgreen:

Thanks, Charisma, that's what I'm hoping. I've seen some of your work on here and I'm impressed.

That's it! That's what I thought. The good part of your post is the laughing and fun involved! Thanks!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andii
    Hi Gaigai. I've noticed community benefactor on several people's info block what does that mean? Do you donate a lot of quilts? I love to read as well and have been dabbling in geneaology...how do you Ever get past all of the pay sites when you're trying to look up free public records :?: I recently found out something about my dad that I'm trying to follow up on but the sites always lead to adds for "helpful" sites. Rrrrrrr...you might recognize those letters as a low growl since you have so many fur babies. I too love animals.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome.
    Hi Andi! Click on the words "community benefactor" under a name, and it gives a detailed description of what it is.

As for genealogy, oh dear, that's too big a subject to address here, but basically you can NOT do it online. Not if you are going to do it correctly. While there are more and more actual documents being scanned and made available online, in the big scheme of things these are still very limited, and the best way is still to use the Mormon Family History Centers, go to actual court houses or one of the bigger libraries that have established genealogy collections. Although even smaller counties usually have a library with local records, so if you are lucky enough to be researching in the same state you live it, you can check out those. Even with the paid sites (Ancestry, etc) you will need to follow the above steps if you are doing correct DOCUMENTED research. Good luck, and if you have any other questions, you can PM me.

Welcome again to the board!!

I love it! It reminds me of when my husband was the main saw man on a large construction site and that's what he always said-measure, measure, measure! I have new appreciation for what he did now because that initial cut is nervewracking. I just don't want to ruin and waste any of the fabric but even that is a bit easier each time I cut. If I mess up I'll just have to use the scraps for something else and be forced to go back to Joann's :?

Vicki, I bet I'll be attracting all kinds of the little tree frogs that hang out in my big ole Grammy tree! They'll think I'm courting when they hear the sounds coming from my room! :-D

Where can I find Udderly Smooth Udder Cream? Does it have a strong scent? I am allergic to most scents unfortunately so I'm always on the lookout for lotion or handcream that really doesn't smell. I love the smells of a lot of them but I react to them so it's just not worth it. Even the unscented have scents...anyway, maybe udders don't need to smell like flowers :!:

Thanks, mic-pa, I'm looking at some of the class schedules now at Joann's.

Thanks for the thread and I will look at it because that is so what I was feeling last night.

I love your user name-I thought of using King's Kid but then decided to just stick with my name. Is it the King as in The King?

Thanks for the thread and I will look at it because that is so what I was feeling last night.

I love your user name-I thought of using King's Kid but then decided to just stick with my name. Is it the King as in The King?
    Yes!

It was my CB handle about a hundred years ago... anyone remember CBs?

Hello Andi, and welcome. Yes, it does get easier and as the rest of us have and are still doing, you will find what works best for you. There's a wonderful lotion that I use all the time to help my own rough dry hands called Gloves In A Bottle. It's non greasy, non scented and won't leave residue on your fabric. I did my first prairie points just a few weeks ago out of 2 1/2" squares---not an experience I'll soon repeat. If when hand sewing your thread is tangling try pulling it gently across a candle every now and then and don't make it too long. When winding a bobbin make it as tight and even as possible. And read what Eddie has attached to at the end of each of his posts. :D

Welcome from Texas :-)

Where can I find Udderly Smooth Udder Cream? Does it have a strong scent? I am allergic to most scents unfortunately so I'm always on the lookout for lotion or handcream that really doesn't smell. I love the smells of a lot of them but I react to them so it's just not worth it. Even the unscented have scents...anyway, maybe udders don't need to smell like flowers :!:
    I've bought it at Target and it doesn't have a smell.

Hello and welcome from Northern California. Everything gets easier with practice. There is so much to learn and you've come to the right place to get your questions answered. The quilters on this site are extremely generous with advice and knowledge. There are also tutorials here to help you.

Andi, there is really no shame in mistakes. Wait till you're sewing along and sew your hair into your quilt. My vision isn't what it could be and sometimes my hair gets under the needle and sewn into my quilt. I try to keep it pulled back and away from the machine but . . . Got it caught in a circular saw once too.
    No, I don't lay my head on my machine, my hair is mid-thigh length. :lol:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Hi and welcome to Oregon. Penny

Blog Entries
    OMG you are hysterically funny. Yes, it does get easier. When I first got started, I think it was during my second class when the teacher said that you should change your needle at the beginning of a new project. I said: "You're supposed to change the needle?" Funny - that rough sound and the big holes disappeared - - - as if by magic.

Welcome to the QB and greetings from CA.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RatherB Quilting
    I'm still not convinced it gets easier, but you certainly start to enjoy it more...and more...and more! Soon you can't think of what you did before quilting. Just remember my rule...
    Measure once, cut twice...wait...measure once, cut twice, buy more fabric, measure again...no that can't be it....OH YEAH....measure TWICE, cut ONCE!
    lol :lol: :lol: to funny

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    OMG you are hysterically funny. Yes, it does get easier. When I first got started, I think it was during my second class when the teacher said that you should change your needle at the beginning of a new project. I said: "You're supposed to change the needle?" Funny - that rough sound and the big holes disappeared - - - as if by magic.

Isn't it funny how tiny little things like a good cleaning, a few drops of oil, a new needle and a tightly wound bobbin seem to smooth things out? I was in class one day when one of the ladies said, "Your machine sounds funny." I said, "Well, other than being an old Singer which isn't a quiet as your Janome, it probably needs cleaned and oiled." I took a few minutes to do that and VIOLA!!! It was almost as quiet as hers.
    Well, and my machine is also noisy because I sew like I drive--just a teensy bit fast.

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready

Isn't it funny how tiny little things like a good cleaning, a few drops of oil, a new needle and a tightly wound bobbin seem to smooth things out? I was in class one day when one of the ladies said, "Your machine sounds funny." I said, "Well, other than being an old Singer which isn't a quiet as your Janome, it probably needs cleaned and oiled." I took a few minutes to do that and VIOLA!!! It was almost as quiet as hers.
    Well, and my machine is also noisy because I sew like I drive--just a teensy bit fast.
    I've had my Singer for years but haven't used it alot so it's never been cleaned. I was coming in here to sew to get away from the cleaning do you mean it will follow me in here? Cleaning, bah :thumbdown:

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready

I've had my Singer for years but haven't used it alot so it's never been cleaned. I was coming in here to sew to get away from the cleaning do you mean it will follow me in here? Cleaning, bah :thumbdown:
    Never??? Oh my! Even if it's been sitting around totally unused it still needs to be oiled. So even if you don't clean it PLEASE oil it now and then. I use mine so much that I oil it about once or twice and month and clean it two or three times a week. My machines that I don't use often I oil before before I use them. It makes about as much difference as squaring up your blocks before setting them together. Cleaning isn't hard or time consuming, just take a small (about 1" sq) piece of polar fleece and a pair of tweezers and run the fleece around where you see lint built up. The lint will adhere to the fleece then just throw the lint, fleece, and dirt all away.
    ps: take the plate off and clean the feed dogs and bobbin area too----not just the outside that you can see. LOL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast