Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Donnie from Western North Carolina. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/donnie-western-north-carolina-t300240.html)

dudequilter 10-15-2018 03:21 PM

Donnie from Western North Carolina.

Hello all,

My name is Donnie. I am a 40 year old guy just starting to learn to quilt. My great-grandmother used to quilt. She made beautiful quilts. When she died, I was given one of her quilts. It has been on my bed for years and years and is almost worn out now. I decided to learn how to quilt so I could make a replacement. I learned that I really enjoy it. And, I really enjoy the weird looks I get in the fabric shops when the workers realize I'm shopping for myself, lol.

QuiltnNan 10-15-2018 03:56 PM

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting :)

Tartan 10-15-2018 04:00 PM

​Welcome from Ontario, Canada.

SillySusan 10-15-2018 04:11 PM

Hi and welcome from the Piedmont of NC!! You've come to the right place to get all of your questions answered! And, there are several men here also. Enjoy!!

frustratedquilter40 10-15-2018 05:03 PM

Hello dudequilter and welcome! From Hillsboro, Oregon

Barb in Louisiana 10-15-2018 06:42 PM

Welcome from South Louisiana. Guys make wonderful quilters. Hope you enjoy your new hobby. My hubby will sew upholstery for just about anything but hasn't developed a desire to learn quilting yet.... I'm still working on him.

Lori B. 10-16-2018 03:58 AM

Welcome from Michigan!:)

MicheleC 10-16-2018 06:35 AM

Welcome from Alaska!

Boston1954 10-16-2018 07:09 AM

Welcome from Oklahoma. It is nice to see guys interested in creating with us.

Iceblossom 10-16-2018 08:09 AM

Howdy Dude, glad to have you aboard. You are in the minority but not alone in being a guy quilter. I've already shared the story (here recently in the intros even) about a friend of mine who's family was having tough times. He had to leave his job and home in Alaska to return to the east coast to keep the family and farm together. As he was there, out of work, so poor and with time on his hands and cold he started thinking about the trunks of old clothes in the attic and that if I could quilt, so could he. Maybe not so flattering to me, but he started cutting up those old clothes and putting them together and has been quilting away for some 30 years now.

I first started quilting as a senior in high school, I don't come from a quilting tradition it was just something I wanted to do. At first I was rather intimidated by the "little old quilting ladies" that I have now become. I've found over the years that in general, some of the nicest people I know do handcrafts. We come in all shapes, sizes, colors, and genders and represent all sorts of belief systems. Of course, there are a lot of more problematic personality types as well :)

Enjoy us and your hobby and this board, it's a nice place to visit and become inspired.