Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Donnie from Western North Carolina.

Donnie from Western North Carolina.

Hello all,

My name is Donnie. I am a 40 year old guy just starting to learn to quilt. My great-grandmother used to quilt. She made beautiful quilts. When she died, I was given one of her quilts. It has been on my bed for years and years and is almost worn out now. I decided to learn how to quilt so I could make a replacement. I learned that I really enjoy it. And, I really enjoy the weird looks I get in the fabric shops when the workers realize I'm shopping for myself, lol.

Blog Entries
    Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Power Poster
    ​Welcome from Ontario, Canada.

Hi and welcome from the Piedmont of NC!! You've come to the right place to get all of your questions answered! And, there are several men here also. Enjoy!!

Super Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    Hello dudequilter and welcome! From Hillsboro, Oregon
    ​Christine

Welcome from South Louisiana. Guys make wonderful quilters. Hope you enjoy your new hobby. My hubby will sew upholstery for just about anything but hasn't developed a desire to learn quilting yet.... I'm still working on him.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Welcome from Michigan!

Welcome from Alaska!

Welcome from Oklahoma. It is nice to see guys interested in creating with us.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Howdy Dude, glad to have you aboard. You are in the minority but not alone in being a guy quilter. I've already shared the story (here recently in the intros even) about a friend of mine who's family was having tough times. He had to leave his job and home in Alaska to return to the east coast to keep the family and farm together. As he was there, out of work, so poor and with time on his hands and cold he started thinking about the trunks of old clothes in the attic and that if I could quilt, so could he. Maybe not so flattering to me, but he started cutting up those old clothes and putting them together and has been quilting away for some 30 years now.

I first started quilting as a senior in high school, I don't come from a quilting tradition it was just something I wanted to do. At first I was rather intimidated by the "little old quilting ladies" that I have now become. I've found over the years that in general, some of the nicest people I know do handcrafts. We come in all shapes, sizes, colors, and genders and represent all sorts of belief systems. Of course, there are a lot of more problematic personality types as well

Enjoy us and your hobby and this board, it's a nice place to visit and become inspired.

Blog Entries
    Hello and welcome from an Iowa Girl!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Blog Entries
    Welcome from Vermont!

Hello from MD!

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the board from NE Ohio.

Howdy from Texas. I hope you find your quilting hobby to be very rewarding. Quilters are very generous people & you will get a lot of help from this board. We also love, love, love pictures & want to see what you make along the way.

Welcome. There are other men quilters here as well. LOL about quilt store experiences.

Welcome from Vermont! My late husband did half the work on our quilts and it was fun to see the looks when we were in a fabric store and he was encouraging me to buy more!! He did the sewing and cutting, I did the designing and hand quilting.

Welcome to the board!
    There are some famous quilters who happen to be men like Ricky Tims, Rob Arpel and others. It's not just a woman's art!

Welcome from Minnesota! My ex-husband recently started quilting - I made a string quilt kit for him when he expressed interest in having an indoor hobby that doesn't involve the risk of cutting off fingers or emergency room visits caused by a nail gun. He's quite the hit at his local quilt shop and enjoys his new-found popularity.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Welcome from another western North Carolinian! I'm in Buncombe County.

Welcome from Texas. You have come to the right place to visit with other quilters who have experience levels ranging from beginners to experts. If you have a question or need help with an issue, someone on this board will be able to come to your rescue. Again, welcome and happy quilting.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Welcome from Oregon.