Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Greetings from flooded Cornwall (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/greetings-flooded-cornwall-t274146.html)

Xasera 01-05-2016 07:32 AM

Greetings from flooded Cornwall

Hello Everyone! Its raining cats and dogs outside, the river is flooded and I can't get out so I thought I would try and find some new quiting friends. I am quite new to quilting but love it and have so many ideas and not enough time! One day a sewing friend of mine said to me "give up smoking and take up quilting"... so I did! And here I am. I have just pieced a queen size quilt for my bed and was wondering if anyone has any tips for quilting it using my domestic machine? Pin baste or spray glue baste etc? Thank you all for reading this.

tessagin 01-05-2016 07:50 AM

Welcome to the board from Corpus Christi, Texas. So many ways to baste. If you glue baste make certain it's a washable glue. There is also stitch basting the Sharon Shamber way. She has videos on YouTube. There is also a video on YouTube, pin basting a large quilt on a small table. Have fun and so much healthier and rewarding than smoking. Quilts last longer than smoke.

Mariposa 01-05-2016 07:57 AM

Welcome to the board! You'll find lots of great info here!

ManiacQuilter2 01-05-2016 08:14 AM

Welcome from parched dry Southern California but suppose to rain here for the next two days. If you have never quilted before, can you make something smaller to practice on?? I have to admit, my first quilt was a KING. The most important thing is to have support to your left side and behind your machine. My avatar I quilted on my Bernina 1530 which I still quilt on. If your quilt is supported, then moving the quilt thru your machine will not be a struggle. I use to go to my LQS to pin baste my larger quilts in their classroom. I still prefer pin basting. You need to really be outdoors when you use spray basting. I never have tried glue, just too scared and TOO set in my ways. There is also fusible batting but I haven't tried that either. What I do is roll up the left side of the quilt from the center and start quilting in the center and gradually work you way outwards. Good Luck.

QuiltnNan 01-05-2016 08:33 AM

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting :)
love your avatar

Tartan 01-05-2016 08:33 AM

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. I saw the historic flooding in your area and hope you stay high and dry! I like Hobbs 80/20 fusible batt, 505 spray basting and I am trying to perfect Elmer's washable glue basting. I haven't pin or thread basted for quilted a while. Whatever method you try, quilt from the center outwards.

Lori B. 01-06-2016 04:53 AM

Welcome from Michigan!:)

Stitchnripper 01-06-2016 05:05 AM

Welcome from Georgia (formerly from Louisiana). I have become a convert to basting with washable school glue. There are many tutorials and threads about it on this board. Put it in the search function up above and then investigate. I don't dilute the glue, just drizzle it on in a rough grid. It doesn't gum up the needle if it is dry. It replaces pin basting, Not spray basting. I do it in sections on a table, from the middle out. Good luck, let us know what you decide and then show us the final product!!!

Abby'smom 01-06-2016 06:10 AM

:) welcome from se Texas

Sheilz 01-08-2016 05:26 PM

Hi there from an equally flooded Aberdeen. Enjoy your new hobby.