Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Hand Quilter from the Mountains of Arkansas.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/hand-quilter-mountains-arkansas-t122.html)

sharonrae 11-29-2006 06:06 PM

Hello everyone, I sure appreciate all the comments, and the advice regarding the thread. I will take this advise, and when I get into town I will do some checking to find where to get some of them. My husband and I live 29 miles out of town in the mountains, and quilting keeps the cabin fever from setting in. Our first winter storm is due to hit tonight, so.... sure am glad I have a project ready to tackle.
Love to hear all the comments and find thoughts. And hints. I can always use hints. I do have a question to ask... what do you use as a finger protector on the left hand, when hand quilting? I find I have an index finger that looks like leather............yikes from being pierced so much... I went to the stationary supply store and got some of the rubber finger covers, and it works pretty well, but I would be interested in hearing how others solve this problem..
Sharon

Knot Sew 12-02-2006 04:51 AM

Hi Sharon...I have a roll of old fashion adhesive tape. I put it on the end of fingers I use....... I have never been able to get used to a thimble so the tape goes on both hands.

Minda 12-02-2006 06:02 AM

Hi Sharon, The only thimble I've ever been able to get used to is a TJ Lane thimble. She is a silversmith who fits the thimble to your finger. You can see them on line at www.thimbles2fit.com but it's best to have one fitted in person at a quilt show.

kathy 12-02-2006 06:57 AM

I use a thimble on my pushing finger but not my receiving(bottom) finger, just push gently but still get stuck some. Sounds like a lot of us don't get to town very often, I'm 27 miles from a small town (very small) and about 40 from Walmart, Mall,and grocery store.When I go shopping it takes everybit of 6 hours and that's not much time for window shopping, that's knowing what I'm after.I work 10-12 hrs. 6-7 days a week so I treasure my quilting time.

Boo 12-02-2006 05:35 PM

I had to laugh at your problem of not getting into town much for supplies. Unfortunately, I have the opposite problem. Working parttime at a quilt shop, I aquire all sorts of materials and supplies, but very little time to use them. :lol: My stash continues to grow, and with each box unpacked, so does my wish list. After the holidays will be my time to sit and quilt.

dojo36 09-06-2007 10:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i made some christmas tree skirts last year and i'll try to upload a picture of one of them.

i embroidered the things on some pre-quilted material cut in a circle and sewed bias tape around it, very easy.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]3840[/ATTACH]

dojo36 09-06-2007 10:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
here are some

and here it is under the tree
[ATTACH=CONFIG]3699[/ATTACH]

another one for my daughter
[ATTACH=CONFIG]3700[/ATTACH]

Minda 09-06-2007 05:29 PM

Your tree skirts are lovely. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Minda

mimisharon 09-07-2007 05:42 AM

Welcome to you Sharon, from another Sharon (Jean, but don't tell anyone else,k?)

I'd bet you'll be just like the rest of us, addicted very very soon.

I grew up 25 miles from a real city, but now live in the woods only 15 miles from town. I love being close enough to get what I want, when I want, but not buried under other houses and people.

Join us often, we have chats, real time talks, and would love to have you join us. You'll find the schedule on the Main Forum. I'll be opening one at 10 AM Eastern, hope you get this and can join us this morning.

I use a thimble on my push hand, but not on the catch fingers, unfortunately. I have the callus on those fingers but not deep enough to keep from going through at times. One of these days I'll stop bleeding all over my quilts, maybe. :D

Welcome and do ask away on any forum....

Sharon

live2teach 09-07-2007 07:40 AM

Welcome to the family, Sharon! It is very nice to have you on board. I would love to see some of your work if you have any pictures. I am from WV. I was taught how to sew years and years ago and then quit sewing and picked it back up. I had a few pointers with quilting but I have also taught myself. Most of the things I know, I have taught myself....There is no better teacher than yourself. lol. Just wanted to give you a warm welcome!