Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Hi! Hola, from Argentina (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/hi-hola-argentina-t293543.html)

barbikaz 12-25-2017 03:02 PM

Hi! Hola, from Argentina

Hi, my name is Bárbara, I am new here. I just got my degree at the university and my husband wants to give me a present. I asked for a sewing machine. I was thinking about the Janome 2030 so I can start quilting. I have no experience at it and I will use this forum a lot!!
Now I am on vacations so I want to start something like a blanket for my son.
I am not an english speaker so this is all I can say about me right now. Forgive me for my mistakes.
Love! and merry xmas!!!
Barbi

M.Elizabeth 12-25-2017 03:15 PM

I won't try to advise about a machine. I have a Bernina which I love, but might not be the best to begin on. However, I can welcome you from the beautiful mountains of western NC in the USA. By the way, we hosted an exchange student in the mid-90s from Brazil.

QuiltnNan 12-25-2017 03:57 PM

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting :)

Boston1954 12-25-2017 04:40 PM

Welcome from Oklahoma. You do great in English.

Mousie 12-25-2017 05:00 PM

welcome, Barbara from Florida. I hope you love whatever machine you buy
and find lots of useful information here on the Quilt Board. If you have questions,
there is always somebody that either has an answer, a suggestion or can point you to
something. You do very well with your English and you have a quilter's heart already :).

Thumbelina 12-25-2017 05:54 PM

Hi Barbi welcome and Merry Christmas from NE Ohio, USA.

lfty298 12-25-2017 06:16 PM

Hi Barbi
Welcome from Philadelphia, Pa (east coast of U.S>)
Re the machine you have chosen -
I can't speak to that particular machine - but here are some things I think are important to
quilting that do seem to be included with your model.
--1/4" foot for piecing
--darning foot (or quilting foot) for free motion quilting
--walking foot - for straight line quilting
--extension table - but the ones that come with machines tend to be small
and you will probably need to extend the extension once you are actually quilting/
speed control, manual tension adjustment, drop feed, and needle up/needle down are all
useful features.
You actually only need a straight stitch for piecing or quilting. But, the other fancier stitches - especially the zigzag are
useful for other sewing and the free arm is a great feature to have.
So, as a quilter, I can say that feature wise it is pretty nice, and Janome has a solid reputation. I don't know anything about sturdiness, price or computerized machines. If you are buying it from a shop, ask for a demonstration and maybe a comparison to other machines.

There is an endless amount of quilting information online - and here on the quilting board. I hope you love it as much as the many quilters on the QB.
Lefty - in Philly

Barb in Louisiana 12-25-2017 06:46 PM

Welcome from South Louisiana, USA. Another Barbara here. Good luck with your quilting.

Tartan 12-25-2017 09:00 PM

​Welcome from Ontario, Canada.

patsan 12-25-2017 11:49 PM

Welcome from NY!