Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Howdy from the woods of Pennsylvania! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/howdy-woods-pennsylvania-t301949.html)

Wood Sprite 01-02-2019 02:52 AM

Howdy from the woods of Pennsylvania!

Howdy! My name is Darlene. I live on wooded acreage in the middle of Pennsylvania. I love living in the woods and have chosen the screen name Wood Sprite.

I started my first quilt in the Fall of 2017. I got it pieced, sandwiched and quilted but had to stop because my health declined too much while making it. (Bad heart made it hard to crawl on the floor to sandwich and pin baste it.) I still need to finish the borders and bind it but that hasn't stopped me from using it now and then.

My second quilt was much smaller than the first and very simple. I need to tie it and bind it and plan to donate it. But my health and life got in the way and I didn't get back to doing that or finishing the first one. I plan to finish both soon.

I did completely make and finish a third quilt a few weeks ago. I made it for my dog that was in kidney failure using colors that made me think of her fur and her eyes. It gave her comfort during her last days and will gives me comfort to hug it now. We had to euthanize her two days ago (12/31). I miss her so much but am glad I have this quilt to snuggle when I think of her.

I tend to over-research and over-think things when I start new hobbies. I've already designed several quilts on graph paper and look forward to making them once I get more practice with some other smaller quilts and get some tables so I don't have to crawl on the floor to sandwich and baste the larger quilts that I really want to make. I also read over 95% of the posts in the Main Section of QB and have learned a lot from you already. I love how you all support each other and repeatedly say there are no rules, make what you like. That's my philosophy, too!

Thank you to whomever started this forum, those that moderate it, and those that share their knowledge. I'm happy join and look forward to getting to know all of you!
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->

Tartan 01-02-2019 03:54 AM

:wave:Welcome from Ontario, Canada.

Rhonda K 01-02-2019 03:58 AM

Welcome to the boards. Love your screen name. Enjoy your return to the quilting journey.

QuiltnNan 01-02-2019 04:51 AM

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting :)

Lori B. 01-02-2019 05:05 AM

Welcome from Michigan!:)

SillySusan 01-02-2019 05:23 AM

Hi and a warm welcome from North Carolina! Smaller quilts are tons easier than that big one you have to crawl on the floor to work on.

I'm so sorry you had to put your dog down during the Holiday season. It's heart rendering any time, but I had to put my very favorite, best-loved, and most loving one down on Christmas Eve several years ago, and I still grieve when I think of her every Christmas.

helou 01-02-2019 05:39 AM

Hello and welcome from Quebec, Canada.

Iceblossom 01-02-2019 08:01 AM

Greetings Wood Sprite/Darlene. What an interesting introduction :) Glad to have you here. I'm with you that I don't appreciate crawling around on the floor, plus I just have too much stuff to move around any more. Some people use the folding ping pong tables for quilt layout, when you are not using them they fold up flat. Something to look for in Craig's List or thrift stores...

Thumbelina 01-02-2019 05:25 PM

Welcome from NE Ohio.

Boston1954 01-02-2019 05:29 PM

Welcome from Oklahoma. So sorry to hear about your dog.

My Jim got me two wonderful folding tables (about 30 x 60) from Walmart. I set them up in the living room when I want to pin. They are great.